capitolo 2 :: un'altra missione

Early May 2007 - Italy

You sit in the escort car, the gigantic automatic rifle poised silently at your lap like a sleeping dog.

Don Giovanna sits in two cars down, probably drinking wine and counting his money. Maybe he even has a girl or two in there with him.

None of you knew anything about Don Gio, like some of you called him (and on special occasions, "the godfather"), other than his last name and his position. Second Head to Passione.

And he knew nothing about you. Or any Praesidio protecting him, for that matter. You were the Illegal Italian secret service. Illegal because you were the sergeant Praesidio of one of Italy's most sought-out gangs, so of course the actual cops wouldn't volunteer to escort them. It was illegal for anyone to be conflicted with them, but the pay was amazing. So you joined.

You were fully aware of what was about to happen when the car swerved unexpectedly and a bullet grazed the window.

"Take Don Gio down the alternate route under the bridge and deploy the trap car," you dispatched into the small radio on your body, whilst opening up the sunroof to position your rifle.

You can see the other gang's car closing in on you. Someone's hanging out the side of the run-down car with a pistol. You scoff as your finger pushes down on the trigger.

You paint the car with bullets and it's out in no time. You knew this was probably a amateur gang, because if you're going to raid Don Giovanna, you'd need a whole swat team. Not just one puny little car. You gave them Kudos for trying, though.

You sit back down into the car, easing the rifle back through the roof and re-applying the safety. "Perimeter clear," you mutter into the radio.

"Assignment finished. Giovanna has arrived safely," the radio says back. You sigh with happiness. You turn your attention to the driver of the car. "Marco, take us back to headquarters."
---
"Mommy's home!" You joke, pushing open the doors to the Praesidio headquarters. A couple of people groan.

Your friend, Rosa, who was another Sergeant, comes behind you and slaps you on the back quite hard, but you can't even feel it through the bulletproof vest under your clothes. But you know it's her.

"How did it go?" She asks, handing you a cup of coffee. You shrug. "Good, I guess. The Godfather didn't die, so I'm still getting my paycheck." Taking a sip, you walk over to your desk, which she sits on.

"I'm so glad it's almost the end of the day," she groans. You smile, whilst focusing on writing a report for the day. "You're new, so you'll get used to it." She pouts. "Whatever. Don't think I didn't know you're off tomorrow."

You make a shooing motion with your hand. "Okay, okay. Now go, I need to finish this report so I can get myself home." Rosa rolls her eyes. "Alright, your majesty."
---
You drive home the longer route, yet it was the more scenic one. Resting your elbow on the side of the car, you let the wind blow through your hair as the bright lights of Venice lit up the night.

The pleasant ambience of the city was cut short by you stopping in front of the gate.

You lived in a small house in one of those more expensive gated communities, higher up a mountain and shrouded by trees. You loved your house especially because it looked down on Naples, so you could see all the city lights at night as well, so it was your own personal universe.

As you dug in your purse for your ID, the guard walked up. "How's your night going, y/n?" He asks. You hold out your ID. "Good, good. Yours?" He nods, inspecting your ID before handing it back to you. "Same as always. See ya." You wave at him as he opens the gates, and then drive off.

You push open the door to your house, and the first thing you see is your lazy cat, Sveta, nudging its food bowl at your feet.

You sigh, setting down your purse and grabbing the bag of cat food. "I know, I know. Good to see you too." You give her a quick stroke on her back while she eats before getting up and going to change.

As you reheat a plate of takeout from last night, the phone rings.

"Hello?" You ask. You tuck the phone in between your ear and your shoulder as you take the plate out of the microwave. "Hey, y/n!"

You recognize that cheery voice as your grandma's. "Oh, hi, nonna! (Hey who else thought of Tommy Wiseau) What's going on?"

"Well, you know, Angi's having a baby shower and like always, she wants you to come."

You groan. Angela, your least favorite cousin, is having a kid that she will not quit talking about and god forbid, you're going to go and have to buy her crap for the baby and talk to her. You weren't a big fan of her because you had only met her, what, 3 times before, and each time, to be nice, she was a bitch to you.

"Alright. I'll be there. When?"

"Tomorrow at 1."

"Alright. Anything else?"

"No, not really. Love you bunches."

"Love you too. Bye."

You hang up the phone and groan once more. A party person you were not, but simple conversation was tolerable. As you ate, you thought of what you'd get her and what you'd wear to the party. It made you tired.

So after you finished your food, you put the plate in the sink and went straight to your closet to fish out an outfit for the coming day.

After little to no consideration, you picked out a short, floaty white dress that you wore to most family gatherings (of course, with shorts underneath), some tights that matched your skin tone, and black flats. And why not, you'd get up earlier to curl your hair.

The secret to the outfit, though, was that a loaded gun could hide perfectly under the folds of the dress and flats were quite easy to run in.

After that, you decided to throw on some pajamas, brush your teeth, and go to bed.

Sveta jumps onto the bed once you get in, curling herself up next to you. You pet her head.

"Goodnight, Sveta..."
---
A/N
Yay! First chapter!
Also, I lied about updates. Every Wednesday and Friday is the Final Schedule.

So yeah. I'll give this story my all!
Thanks for reading :)
-Mom