capitolo 20 :: K.K. Aria

As one specific character from one specific movie had stated, "don't be good at something you don't want to do." For you, babysitting relatives pertained to that rule.

It was a Saturday when your phone rang. Like most of the times it did, on the other end was your grandma.

"Hello, my dear y/n!" You chuckle a little. "Hello." By now you've recognized that she speaks in this tone before she asks for favors. "What's going on?"

"Well, do you have a spare 3 or 4 hours?" You glance at the clock. It's already 7 PM. "Heck, Sure, I do."

"That's great! You wouldn't mind babysitting a girl, would you?"

"Depend on what type of girl it is."

"What?"

"If it's an animal, I'm not doing it."

"Y/n, it's a child."

You shudder. "Please tell me she's over 3."

"Y/n."

"Okay, okay. When is she coming?"

"In about 30 minutes."

You glance over at the clock and sigh. "Alright. May I ask whose kid it is?"

"Family Friend. See you then!"

"Wait, which family friend?"

"Oh, you'll know her."

The phone clicks.
---
Around thirty minutes later your front door gets knocked on. The kid's here.

You open the door to a 13 year old. She looks tired. A beaten-up backpack hangs off her shoulder. She offers you a quick, shy smile before you step inside and let her in.

"Hello," you say, "you must be?" She looks at you, then looks down, embarrassed. "I don't speak Italian."

Oh no. She speaks English. You clear your throat and attempt to remember your past English lessons. "You speak English, yes?" Her face lights up. "Y-yes." You gesture for her to take a seat on the couch. "Um, I am Y/N. You are...?"

"Namiko...You can call me Nami." She rests her hands in her lap and refuses to make eye contact. You scratch your head. "You would not mind telling me your last name, no?"

"...Noriaki."

Oh. You suddenly know which family friend's kid this is. Last time you had heard of her, you had gone to Nami's mother's wedding in the states - the only thing that you remembered about the wedding is that her husband's hair color really contrasted with the white setting - it was notably red.

"Ah, yes! I met your mother when I was your age. She is nice." You sit down next to Nami. "You are hungry, right?" Actually, you realized that you had meant to say "are you hungry?" Cleared your throat, and tried again. "My English..isn't very well," you sigh.

"Your English is alright," She reassures you. "I'm okay."

Standing up and looking out the window, you watch a car pass by. "Did your parents take you here?"