capitolo 21 :: col tempo

Nothing in particular completes a day at work more than ever than throwing an unconscious man into an alley. It was dark out, and you were in the more questionable parts of the city, so to the people who walked by, this must have been pretty normal.

It was your fault you nearly got mugged, but that's what you got for taking the questionable shortcut home from work after you took your car in to get fixed. Now, you had a different problem on your hands - his body.

He was barely breathing as you used every last piece of strength in your body to haul him up and toss him into a pile of filled garbage bags, throw a couple on top, and then wipe your knuckles on your uniform.

"I'm sorry I shot you and broke your jaw," you whisper to him, throwing in a couple pieces of spare change from your wallet. "Here's some compensation." He only groans in response.

You sniffed a little and ran in place for a second to loosen yourself out. "Alright. Time to go ho-"

It was almost like you were in a movie. Thunder echoed across the sky, then a droplet of water hit your nose, then a couple hit the ground, and before you knew it it was pouring buckets.

Spotting a broken children's umbrella - with a picture of a ladybug spread over the top, how cute - you quickly grabbed it, shook off anything that might have been on it, and held it above your head. But then one of the sticks snapped in half and half of the umbrella was flopping to the the side of you.

You grumbled to yourself as your boots splashed out of the alley. Not only were you soaked and tired, you were lost. And your umbrella was now broken. It didn't make sense to leave it on the sidewalk and let such a cute umbrella go to waste, so you just carried it.

Your hands traced up above your eyes to make out anything recognizable - and apart from the lights of a sad-looking restaurant in the distance, nothing would be able to guide you back home to your residential.

Maybe someone will be able to help me, you think, and you look around to see if anyone else had decided to come out this evening. Someone crossed your peripheral vision - and your stomach got all exited. For some reason.

The rain was making it kind of hard to see as you fumbled with your broken umbrella, but you walked up to the person about a meter in front of you and tapped their shoulder.

"Excuse me, sir, but you wouldn't mind telling me the directions to- oh! Hello."

Right person, wrong time. Giorno.

He turns around and smiles, but his smile quickly merges into a concerned frown. "Y/n, you're soaked through. You're going to catch a cold." You look down and a stream of water drips down and falls off the tip of your nose. "I can't help it." Your broken umbrella hangs limp and...broken, from your hand.

"You're everywhere, aren't you?" You Ask. He ignores your remark and holds his umbrella up a little higher and gives you a look like he's expecting you to do something. You return with a questioning look, and he asks, "Coming under?"

"You complete me," you murmur quietly as you walk underneath with him.

Your eyes widen a little bit as to say "oh, shit." Your shirt is still stained with blood and your hands are probably crusted over with it. On top of that, you run your tongue over your lip, and that's bleeding as well, along with a couple other bruises on you.

Okay, okay, There aren't any street lamps for another mile or mile and a half. That's inner city, and I know where to walk to after that, even if it gets me nearly killed again-

"I can smell the blood on you, y/n, where have you been."

Slowly turning your head in his direction, you smile feebly. "Ah...I worked a little overtime."

He pinches the bridge of his nose and closes his eyes in mock frustration. "My girlfriend beats people up for a living."

Your heart jumps forward. It's one of the few times you've heard him say that word. To keep calm, you turn to sarcasm and put your hand on your hip, and shrug. "I need to pay the bills somehow."

Your surroundings now come to your senses. You, holding a ladybug umbrella, and Giorno, holding a black one. Something seems childish about standing next to someone holding a ladybug umbrella - standing next to your boss holding a ladybug umbrella, but it's hard to come across someone who doesn't like the occasional ladybug umbrella.

The rain beats on the material the canopy is made up of and it almost fills in the need for talking, but you start a conversation anyway. It starts off with you asking why he worries about you so much, and then him reminding you that if he doesn't you're going to get yourself killed, and then you asking since when you're still a toddler and Giorno jokingly replying "sometimes, you still act like one."

You giggle at that. "Hey, that's mean...sometimes, we're two totally different people, you know?"

He shakes his head. "Sure, y/n."

"On that note...Do you ever wonder why certain people meet?"

"Occasionally."

"Agreed."

"..."

"..."

"Ever wonder why we met?"

"Fate."

"Good enough."

Your hand goes for his, but then you draw it away. Giorno notices, and looks at you odd. "what?" He asks, so you hold out your hands in front of you. "Oh, I don't know, maybe my hands are covered in blood."

"Sure. Soap exists."

"So do DNA tests, Giorno. I may or may not have just killed a man."

"Sometimes I wonder what you're up to when I'm not around."

"You wouldn't want to know."

He laughs at that. It makes you happy even though you're not the one doing it.

"You wouldn't say it's too late for a cup of coffee?"

Giorno grins to himself. "I suppose not."
---
A/N
I should probably start writing in third person, I'm getting pretty sick of writing "you"...hmm
-Mom