capitolo 24 :: ammenda

Something bright is hitting your eyes, and it's making you quite dizzy. More than you already are, in fact.

You think. "Wait a minute. Where am I?"

You sit bolt upright, and judging by the bed and the nightstand, you're in someone's room. The walls aren't gray, so it definitely isn't yours. You start to get nervous.

An out of place draft hits your upper chest, making you look down, and for a second you expect to be completely naked. No, not naked, but your shirt is unbuttoned from the middle-up, you're completely stripped of your work gear, and there's nothing on your feet but socks. Thankfully, your pants are still on. And so is your underwear, your bra just barely peeking out of your blouse.

Fumbling to re-button everything, you continue to try to make sense of where the hell you are. You've never seen this room before. The windows are open, but you can't see the ground - this probably isn't the first floor.

"Okay..." You whisper, continuing to look around - your eyes suddenly lock on someone in the corner, less than 3 feet away from you. They've got a dress shirt on, and their sleeves were rolled up. They're on the phone, and they're frustratingly running their hands through their hair-

Your vision isn't as blurry anymore. You can tell because you can see that little golden braid as clear as day.

Shakily, you whisper, "Gio?"

He whips around, taking the phone from his ear and setting it down. "Y/N! You're okay!" You stand up. Before you can say anything else, Giorno suddenly hugs you, burying his face in the crook of your neck. He's holding on...a little too tight.

"Where are we?" You shakily ask, as if you're about to cry. Your hands ghost across his back in an attempt to hug him in return, but you're so confused that you don't even know what to do. Your brain won't let you process what's happening. "W-who are you calling?" He's silent for a second.

"No one's answering because I damn near got shot." You can feel his lips moving on your shoulder and it feels weird, in a nice way.

"Y-You didn't answer my question. Who are you calling?"

Giorno sighs. "Your boss. You're quitting your job."

"What? No!" Instinctively, you push him away, and he stumbles back, looking as if he completely expected you to do this. You mutter a forced "Sorry".

He pinches the bridge of his nose. "I've let you stay long enough. I cannot have you getting killed, (y/n)."

"Killed?" You think for a second, before your eyes widen and you shout, "I got shot!"

As Giorno shushes you, you run your hands up and down your body to try and feel any bandages or stitches or blood, or damn, even a hole. But nothing. Nada.

You put both hands on your head, utterly confused. Turning away from him, you exclaim, "W-what the hell? I could've sworn I got shot! You were getting in the car-"

"Y/n. You're shouting again."

Turning back to him, you drag your hands down to your face. "What about the hospital?? Did you like, heal me or something?" He looks down and mumbles something indiscernible under his breath.

Still feeling around your body, You ask, "What happened? Was I dreaming?" You sit back down on the side of the bed and grip the sheets, somewhat angry. "That aside, I just...Giorno, I know you care about me, but I really, really need this job."

He sits down next to you. "You can live with me if you're worried about the bills."

"But that's not a good idea!"

"So What is?"

"Giorno, PLEASE. For the life of me, I worked so hard for it!"

"You know what? You don't know this because they won't tell you, but the people you work for could care less about you."

You look up. Quietly, you whisper a "What?"

He stands up again. "Y/N, can't you see all you are to this organization is a human shield? You're getting paid to be a DOORMAT!"

Now you actually feel as if you're about to cry. On top of him basically yelling at you, you realize that is kind of true. "So that's all I am to you?"

He sighs and sits down next to you again. "That's not what I meant."

Even though you don't look at him, you let him hold your hand. "I just don't want you to die, that's all."

"There are so many other people just like me Giorno, you can just get another girlfriend. I bet there are thousands of women who are getting off to thinking about you."

He squeezes your hand tighter. "Don't...say that. You're special."

You turn back to him. "Oh, sure. Can't you see I'm just normal person? I live in the suburbs, I pay my taxes, I shop at the grocery store. You could do so much better."

He smiles weakly. "Sometimes people like me enjoy breaks, you know. I'm sure you've had your fair share of stuck up rich girls."

You scoff, pleased with the comment. "Tell me about it." But then you realize that he's changed the subject and you shake your head. "Okay. I...I get you're worried about me getting hurt, but it's what I get paid to do."

"We'll have to fix that."

"Oh, fix that? That's like saying butchers should quit their jobs because they might cut themselves with a meat cleaver. Or whatever."

Obviously joking, he smiles yet again. "Exactly."

"Damn, you cant let me be mad at you for just ten minutes, can you?" And in response to his smile, you laugh as well. "I know me getting sniped was out of my control. But I'll be careful next time, Okay? I was more worried about you."

A sigh and a smile on his part. You lean into his shoulder, and he places a hand on your back. "Just don't die...look." He whispers, picking a pen sitting on the dresser up.

You almost fall off the bed watching it immediately snap from a pen to a carnation.

"Woah...woah! How did you...?"

All he does is smile and place the flower in your hand. "Just to mention it, I hope you liked the bouquets I've been leaving you."
---
A/N
(Oh boy, this book is almost over...)
-Mom