capitolo 25 :: la fine di un era

This big old ivory desk was nice, but you did miss your old wood one. And this swivel chair was really cushiony, which was too luxury for your simple tastes.

Simple. What a funny word.

It had been about a month since your "mystery" promotion to captain. You remembered the day your old captain came up to you and told you that you were getting promoted and you had to act surprised and frankly, it was probably really cringe-y to watch, now that you think of it.

And as you filled out captain paperwork with your captain pen in your captain uniform, that's all you could think about.

But hey, don't stress the little things, right? Embarrassing things happen sometimes.

Like getting shot in front of your mob boss boyfriend.

You laugh a little, and it messes up the word you were writing.

And you just scratch it out. Yeah, don't stress the little things.

Suddenly, there are three knocks on your door, and by default you mumble a "come in". You never had to do that at your old desk, but that's that captain life, you guessed.

"Hello, Captain (L/n)."

"Ah, my assistant! Marzia!" You gesture towards the chair in front of your desk.

"You called?" She asks, nervously sitting down. You nodded. "I have a matter to discuss with you." She obviously thinks that she's about to get fired, judging by how she whimpers after you say that.

"I understand you've been trying to get into academy."

"I-I have. I'd really like to be an officer."

"I see..." you look her up and down. "You've always stricken me as the officer type. Why do you want to become an officer? My training days were quite hard."

"Well..." she looks behind her to make sure no one is listening. "I want to avenge my father. He was killed on duty."

Even though that's the most cliche response, you smile at her. "That's very sweet of you, Marzia. Would you mind retrieving your application papers for me?"

She scurries off as soon as you finish the sentence and comes back in a matter of minutes. "H-Here they are," she stutters, handing the orange envelope to you.

You open the envelope and file through the papers until you find the recommendation file. Smoothing it down on your desk, you write your signature and credentials, and fill out the little recommendation. "You know, since I've kind of graduated from that place - I think you need deserve it more. Good luck in academy, kid. There's a happy ending out there waiting for you."

You smile as you hand her back the envelope and you notice she's crying. "T-Thank Y-you-" you'd usually yell at someone for this, but you let her get up and hug the daylights out of you.

That magical officer spot needs to get passed on somehow, you know.

Just as she leaves the room, the front desk lady comes into the room. You never really remembered her name and on top of that, she never knocked, so that kind of bugged you.

"These were sent for you." She places them on your desk and walks out. No "you're welcome", no "have a good day", not even a "bye". You scoff.

Oh, well.

You smile at the carnations on your desk.
---
A/N
Finish line: crossed!
-Mom