capitolo 14 :: il giorno dopo

You wake up to Sveta walking all over the bed and meowing, a signal that she's hungry. You sigh, lazily reaching up to pet her head. The events of last night come flooding back to you-- the huge venue, the almost-kiss, the kiss --and for a second, you thought that it was all a dream.

That was, until you looked down and saw that you were still in your dress from the night before. Oh, that's right. You had flopped onto the bed last night not even caring about your dress or makeup.

You pulled yourself out of your bed and stood up, a little blister on your foot from those damned heels stinging with the feeling of carpet as you walked tiredly to your closet and picked out some sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Sveta still wouldn't stop meowing, emitting a sigh from you. "I know, I know. Just let me get dressed." As you walk to the bathroom to remove your makeup, she clings to the back of your leg, her claws hooking in the the fabric. It was a common dirty little trick that she likes to play, because she knew that if you moved, your pants would be ripped to shreds.

"Okay! Okay, drama queen," you interject as you walk into the kitchen to pull out her dish. She finally quits meowing as you give her a full bowl of food-- and then the phone rings.

You shuffle over and pick up. "H...Hello?"

"Hello, Sergeant l/n, this is Licia from front desk."

You lean on the countertop of your kitchen. "Oh. Good Morning, Licia."

"We were wondering if you could come in today for the remainder."

"Hm. Short-staffed again, huh...well, alright, I'll be there around two. Is that all?"

"Yes, ma'am. See you then."

"Seeya."

And you hit end call. After placing the phone back on its little charging port, you hold your head in your hands and groan loudly. The last thing you wanted to do is be at work today, but it was the least you could do. You glance at the clock on your wall and it's already past twelve, which makes you groan again. Looks like it's gonna be a longer day than usual.
---
You're quietly doing paperwork at your desk when the intern from earlier-- what was her name? Marzia? --runs over and places a tiny stack of papers on your desk. "Here is the briefing overview that you missed from earlier, miss," she quickly says.

"Thank you, sweetheart," you say, reaching up and patting her shoulder, which she shies away from at first. "Do me a huge favor and get me one of those small pizzas from the shop downtown, would you?"

"What flavor?"

"Pizza doesn't have a flavor, sweetheart, it's what toppings."

"W-what toppings?"

"Nothing. Just cheese is fine."

She scurries away. You call after her, "Make sure that thing doesn't have any bones in it. If that pizza isn't boneless I'm going downtown and making it my damn self!"

"Pizza doesn't have a damn bone," says an officer walking by. You frown at him. "Yeah, if it doesn't have a bone, it's BONELESS."

He sighs. "My sergeant's an idiot," he mutters as he walks away.

You roll our eyes and pick up the papers on your desk.

Briefing Date:

The date has the black clip that keeps all the papers together over it. Well, the date's not that important.

•Don Giovanna has flown out as of 15:00 PM and will return in one week, escort for return trip needed
•Raid on Subject 09628's headquarters successful, subject now in custody and will be question for relations for recent incidents regarding the cartel, interrogator needed
•Staff needed for patrol
•It's Sergeant Rosa's birthday. Happy Birthday!
--Briefing end--

So it's her birthday, huh. Might as well wish her a good one.

Just as you're about to get up out of your desk, Marzia comes running over and drops the pizza on your desk. You pick up the box and open it.

"No bones. Good Job."
---
"Happy Birthday, Rosalina!" You cheer, mouth half full with pizza, and she looks up from her desk and gasps. "Split a pizza?"

"I need to talk to you," she whispers, suddenly getting up from her desk. "Okay, what's going on--" in some swift motion, she's got you by the arm and is leading you into one of the vacant conference rooms.

She practically throws you in, shutting and locking the door behind you. The matter must be really urgent, because she closes the blinds and barricades the door with a rolling chair.

"You," she shoves a finger in your face, "are hiding a dirty little secret form me."

"I am?" You ask, questioning what she means.

Suddenly, she pins you to the wall, her face just centimeters from yours. "Woah, Rosa, what the hell--" your pizza drops to the floor, spilling all over the place. "My pizza! OUR Pizza!"

"I know what's going on with you and Giovanna. So don't be going out here thinking you're being discreet when I know you're probably getting in his pants every night, puttana."

"Rosa, get a damn hold of yourself! What are you talking about?!"

She holds you harder. "Don't think I won't go to the higher-ups and--"

You stomp on her foot, which causes her to stumble backwards, and as much as you don't want to, you give her a hard slap across the cheek. "What's wrong with you?" You ask, as you use your own key to unlock the door. "You went from being my little airhead of a friend to...this."

She's stunned, standing there and holding her cheek. Crouching down to gather the remains of the cheesy mess on the floor, you frown. "Don't talk to me until you finally stop acting like this."

You sigh as you place your hand on the doorknob. "Happy Birthday. And don't ask me to spend this one with you."

You walk back to your desk in a bad mood, one pizza ruined and one of your last friendships ruined. The end of the day couldn't come any faster than this.
---
A/N

(rip headphone users)