... when the digits are a bitch

It was a little after midnight when she finally managed to balance the books. This wasn't even part of her job but because she's that nice (or just a pushover), when their junior bookkeeper lamented that she still had to pick up her kid from school, she volunteered to finish doing the books. It doesn't matter that she knows the bookkeeper actually just went to the movies with the rest of their officemates (yeah, she can sense a lie when it's right at her face). She just enjoys numbers. No, she was no math genius, but she understands how numbers and formulas work. They're the simplest things for her, very straightforward and no fuss. It's a what-you-see-is-what-you-get situation for her.

"Are you done? Can we rest now?"

"Yep. Thanks heaps, Callie. You're a savior as always."

"Hmp. Go home. Please."

"I said thanks, didn't I? Don't I deserve a 'you're welcome' at least? You're such a snob."

"Try having all your digits punched more than 8 hours a day. Maine, it's past midnight. Just leave me in peace, ok?"

"Ok, ok. Bic, you coming with me or you'd rather stay here with Callie?"

"I'm coming with you. Callie's no fun when she's tired."

"Leave. Now."

She snorted a laugh, a rather rare sound from her. She was never loud in the office. She responds when talked to, tries to make small talk with officemates but nothing beyond that. But with Callie and Bic, she knows she can be more at ease. These two know her inside out, even if she'd only known them for 5 months. Picking up her bag, she took the pen on her desk and slid it inside, and then placed the calculator she's been using inside her open drawer then pushed it close.

"Great. Slam it a little more forcefully next time, will ya?"

"Oops, sorry Callie. Goodnight! See you tomorrow!"

"As if I had a choice."

Shaking her head, Maine can't help but be amused at how Callie can be such a bitch. A slight wiggle in her bag caught her attention and opened it slightly."

"Bic, you ok in there?"

"I would be if you hadn't pushed me way down. Your wallet, however empty it may be, is quite heavy."

"Hey, don't judge me. Payday's not until Wednesday, and even then, everything's already allocated. I'm lucky enough to have a few hundred left."

"Fine. Let's go, ok? And stop retracting me in the jeepney, it's really annoying."