...when the dictionary is of no help

When one is in a relationship, everything is bright and shiny. You notice every little detail about this person. You notice the quirks and admire them. You notice the change in moods and still you fall on their feet. You have the tendency to think more about this person needs and wants, not yours. You want as much time to spend with them as possible, but not smother them to make them feel suffocated.

Maine and Richard can definitely relate to this. One thing they are not sure of, and they have not had that 'talk', is what kind of relationship do they actually have.

"But you seem happy, kid, what seems to be the problem?"

"I AM happy, Binky, but... what are we? Is he my boyfriend? Is he serious about me? Where are we headed? Does he even think about getting married? To me?!"

She was curled up in bed, her face buried in the blanket. It's been an hour since he brought her home, resisting all urge to invite him in because they've just spent the last half hour making out in his car. He looked at her with sad puppy eyes, which led to another half hour of making out on her couch before Bic snapped at him. "Hey Mallows! It's only Monday! Leave some for the rest of the week!"

"Whoa. Slow down. You've known him for what, 10 weeks? Don't you even talk about it? Not the getting married part, don't scare him."

"We talk about you guys, how we started talking to stuff. We've talked about his family, my family, how he grew up, how I grew up...he probably even knows my menstrual cycle by now because, well, you know..."

"Kid, you've had me since you were 9 years old. You've peed on me and had your bloody stain on me every month. Of course I know what you mean."

"But you understand where I'm coming from, Binky, right? I'm clueless as to where this is all leading to!"

"Maine, you're of the right age now. I can go on and on about what to tell him and what to ask, but it's still up to both of you to define what is really happening, what you're both getting into."

"That doesn't really help Binky."

"Believe me, defining this relationship of yours with Richard would make it a lot easier. And it will make Bic less bitchy with him whenever he comes over."

"Hmp. I like Mallows, but girl, he just seems interested in playing tonsil hockey with you."

"Oh Bic, give him a break..."

"I'm with Binky on this one. You better talk with him, girl, or else I will, and I don't care if you dip me in alcohol or flush me, but you deserve to get everything straight with him."

She stared at her ceiling, lost in thought. She knows they need to have the 'talk' soon, because at the rate that they're going, gravity is clearly making her fall hard and fast.

//

"When are you planning to propose to Maine, dearie?"

Surprised at what Bel suddenly said, he bumped his head on his closet as he stepped out from his bathroom after taking a shower. A cold one. He took her home an hour ago, hoping to get more action other than heavily making out on her couch. If only Bic didn't butt in, he was pretty sure Maine was going to lead him to the bedroom.

"Oh dearie, that was a nasty bump. Are you ok?"

"I'm fine, Bel. Uhm, what do you mean propose?"

"Well, you've known each other for two, almost three months now. You've been dating and having adult activities..."

"Bel!"

"Ooh, ooh, I know what that is! I know those activities! Bel told me! Ooh! You like playing a lot! I can hear the bed squeaking when you play! I can tell Maine is winning because she always says Yes-Yes-Yes! Ooh! Can I play with you and pretty Maine sometime, Richard? Please? Please? Please?!"