... when the blanket makes sense

"Favorite color?"

"Is that a serious question?!"

"Yes! Mine's yellow. The kind of yellow that isn't too bright but not too dull. Just the right kind of yellow. Do you get what I mean?"

"Not really, no."

"Stop laughing! Come on, what's your favorite color?"

"Black. The dark kind of black because the lighter kind of black is already gray. Hey! No hitting!"

"You're making fun of me."

"I'm sorry. But you looked too cute when you were describing the kind of yellow you like."

"Girl, that soup is already boiling it's about to spill!"

"Oh crap. Damnit!"

She was lost in her thoughts again, remembering their Sunday afternoon coffee. It was just the two of them. They agreed not to bring any of their 'friends' along so that they can talk more. Richard told her that Remy was still whining that he can't join, but Bel consoled him with promises that Maine will visit again. Bic couldn't care less if she's brought along or not, as long as Maine gives her details of their coffee date. They didn't extend their coffee to dinner that night but she offered to cook dinner on Monday. She was afraid he'd say no but then he smiled, held her hand and just said "No wine, this time. Ice cream maybe?"

But daydreaming is clearly getting in the way of preparing for dinner, and she frantically turned the stove down low, carefully stirring the soup she was cooking. He answered her 'fish' earlier, so she bought two salmon steaks, which she had been pan frying for three minutes already on one side.

"Bic, you think this is cooked already?"

She held out the pan for the pen to see.

"Girl, seriously? What do I know about pan-fried fish? When in doubt, google!"

It was already 6 in the evening and they agreed that he come over at half past seven. She patted the fish with a spatula, carefully coating it with the oil. She turned it over to the other side to even out the frying.

"I did google it, I just wasn't sure how it should look like."

"Well then good luck, girl."

She turned off the stove for the soup, satisfied that it was cooked already to a good boil. She timed the frying to another 3 to 4 minutes, cleaning her kitchen counter and checking whether her plates are spotless.

"You sure you're wearing that?"

"Should I change? I still look decent, right? I mean, I'm still wearing office clothes but they look fine to me..."

Even she sounded doubtful of what she just said.

"Girl, you smell like fried fish and traffic grime. Take a quick shower and wear something more fresh, will ya? You don't want to look how you smell like."

"You are one heck of a support team, Bic."

"Aww, you know I got your back, girl. Now enough frying, turn off the stove. You can plate that later. What are you still doing? Go! Beautify for Mallows!"

She wiped her hands with the kitchen towel and dashed off to her bedroom. There were clothes laid out on the bed, which she had already been selecting from since that morning before going to work. She wasn't able to put it back in her closet for she was running late already, something that's never happened to her before.

"Kid? Please take these dresses off of me. They already have creases on them. You know you should have placed them back in your closet. Oof!"

Maine jumped on the bed after clearing it out from her clothes, and grabbed a worn-out faded blanket, hugging it and burying her face in it.

"Oh Binky, I'm just...I really don't know how to feel right now. I'm excited and worried and ..."

"Maine, I love you but don't smother me with your face too much. You only have half an hour to get ready for your dinner."

She kept holding on to the blanket, and before she knew it she was sobbing.

"Oh kid, what is it? Why are you crying?"

"I don't know Binky..."

"You like this Richard?"

She nodded, and smiled as his bedimpled face crossed her mind.

"Then why cry?"

"It's been some time since I've felt this. And it's not just because we can both talk to stuff, but he makes me feel..."

"Happy? Excited? Safe?"

"Yes. And scared. What if...what if he ends up just like Andrew and leaves me...?"

"Kid, Maine, walk before you leap."

"Huh? Isn't it walk before you run?"

"In your case, believe me you're already leaping into situations way too ahead. You've known him for only two days. Take it one day at a time. And start by taking a shower for he'll be here any minute."

With one last hug and wiping her tears with the blanket, she leapt from
the bed and went to her bathroom.

"Ugh. And will you wash me first before you introduce me to this Richard? He's gonna smell your snot on me, seriously. Hmp. Kids."