... when the pen has a field day

The day was full of papers, meetings, phonecalls, and video conferences. Bic was impressed at how efficient Richard was at his job. His office was a lot livelier than Maine's, and Bic made sure to tell him that.

"Mallows, seriously, you're good!"

"Thanks, Bic, but not too loud now, ok?"

"Oh yeah, sure."

In Maine's office, all Bic sees are the papers and numbers on her table. And Callie. Bic can only imagine how irritated and annoyed the calculator already is by now, and she snickered a little loudly while thinking this.

"What was that, Faulkerson?"

"Huh? Uhm...what was what?"

He took the pen from his chest pocket and put it in his pants pocket. Feigning innocence, he replied to his boss. It was their lunch meeting and they were in a restaurant in one of the hotels near their office. They were to meet with a new client for a potential account, which was much coveted by other firms in their industry.

"I thought I heard something. Anyway, I think you already know how important this account is, and that's why I brought you with me. They were impressed with what you did with the Walterson account, and they want that same level of output, if not better."

"Thank you Sir, but it wasn't just me. My whole team worked hard on it."

"I heard about that. And I also heard about a new lady that your staff has been grateful to...?"

"Hahaha! Ow!"

He quickly slapped his pants after a distinct laugh was heard. He remained poker face at his boss who looked quizzically at him.

"Did you hear somebody laugh?"

"Huh? What, sir? Maybe it was from the other table."

"I heard somebody laugh from under the table..."

"Will you excuse me, Sir? I think I need to go to the toilet, a little too much coffee."

"Ah, ok. Our client will be here soon."

He quickly stood up, hand in his pocket and retracting the pen inside.

"Ow, ow, ow...quit it Mallows, I'm sorry!"

"I now understand why Maine threatens to flush you, and I have every mind to do the same to you right now."

"Aww, I knew it. You love me, too."

The men's room was empty, making him sigh in relief. He took out the pen and placed it by the basin.

"Bic, can you just please be quiet during this meeting? I can't mess this up."

"Fine."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Seriously?"

"I said yeah."

"Are you sure?"

"Don't you trust me?"

"Frankly I don't."

"But you love me."

"Bic!"

"Ok, ok, I will. But you got to admit, it's pretty exciting almost getting caught, right? Haha, wait till I tell Maine and Bel and Binky and Callie and..."

He took the pen and placed it back on his chest pocket.

"I get it, you'll tell all of them. Good thing you haven't met Remy."

"Oh yeah, Maine mentioned that fidgety thing. Can I go home with you tonight?"

"Enough."

"You're turning red, Mallows."

He gave the pen one last tap before leaving the men's room and going back to their table. He saw two more people sitting and already talking with his boss. An elderly man was seated beside his boss, while the woman had her back to him so he couldn't exactly see her. His boss saw him approach and called out to him.

"Ah, here he is. Mr. Alberto, this is Richard Faulkerson, our Senior Account Executive extraordinaire. Richard, Mr. Silverio Alberto, President of the Alberto group of companies."

"Glad to meet you, Mr. Alberto."

"I've heard what you did with the Walterson account, pretty impressive, young man."

They shook hands, a firm grip always tells him that this account will be rather easy and solid. He always had a feeling with these kinds of people, the big bosses in a company who have all the years and experience behind them. He could already tell that they've got this account in the bag.

"I'd like to introduce you to our Finance Chief..."

The woman turned around, offering her hand. Richard was quick to notice the long, red fingernails, and his breathing halted for a very brief second.

"Oh, I know Richard pretty well. Hi, long time no see."

"Andrea."