...when the morning becomes tomorrow

After two hours, they finished eating breakfast, and the plates empty in front of them. Maine ate with much gusto that it amazed Richard how she could eat like that and still have a small frame.

"Not a breakfast person, huh?"

"Haha, seriously I'm not! I just didn't realize how hungry I was. And that was really good food! We should do this again!"

She said it too quickly that she even surprised herself. Richard's eyes were twinkling, making him cuter if that was even possible.

"Uhm, I mean..."

"I was hoping that we could do this again."

They were now smiling like silly, Maine's eyes trying to avoid looking at him but her lips were turned upwards, even as she tried to keep herself from smiling too much. Richard rubbed his nape, feeling warm all of a sudden. She looked up back at him and softly spoke.

"Maybe... dinner, next time?"

"Ha! Like you get out of the office in time to have dinner! Believe me, Richard, she's eaten a lot of fast food that the delivery guy's beginning to think she's in love with him!"

"Bic, will you just shut up? I swear I will suck out all of your ink one day and dip you in alcohol."

"Oh girl, you love me too much."

Richard grinned at their exchange. He hasn't enjoyed anyone's company like this for the longest time. Granted, he and Maine were the only humans to begin with, but the banter between them and their 'possessions' seemed so normal. He still couldn't believe that there was someone like him who can talk to objects. And he's more than grateful that it was Maine. The unfortunate incident of their meeting has been forgotten, though the gash on her jaw was still prominent to remind them of it. He slowly reached out across the table to hold Maine's hand.

"Are you ok with that? Dinner? Maybe... tonight?"

Maine squeezed the hand holding hers, not really surprised that it was indeed as soft as marshmallows. She suddenly felt so conscious of her own hands.

"I'd like that."

"Oh dearie, that's so lovely! Richard, a proper dinner! Do not bring her to that restaurant where Andrea gave you back your ring... oh my...I'm so sorry....I was so excited....dearie, just pretend you didn't hear anything I said....Richard, I'm so sorry."

Richard released Maine's hand and sighed deeply.

"I won't bring her there, Bel, of course. I'm absent-minded and clumsy but I'm not stupid."

Maine sensed that this Andrea was a former fiancee, what with talk of a ring being returned, so she just kept silent. She's seeing the snob Richard that she first met at the elevator, and it sort of scared her.

"Maine, sorry about that. Look, maybe I could just cook you dinner at my place? Nothing fancy, but I can make a pasta dish. And steak? Or is it too forward to ask you to have dinner with me at my place?"

She saw the soft Richard come back and it made her want to grab on to his hands again and bring it to her cheeks. She smiled.

"Sure."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Pasta's fine. No steak, maybe. I'll bring some wine."

"Great. That'd be nice."

He gestured for the waitress to bring them their bill. The sun was already shining bright outside, and some joggers were coming in for breakfast. They realized that it was already eight in the morning, and as they stepped outside the diner, it dawned on them that they need to go their separate ways.

"Where do you live, Maine?"

"I'm just a jeepney ride away from here."

"Morning commute isn't always great. Let me drive you to your place."

"It's ok, Richard. You also need to go home. And I still need to go back to the office."

"On a Saturday?"

It dawned on Maine that it was indeed a Saturday, that was why she stayed late last night because she didn't want to do work over the weekend. Yes, she still likes to have her weekends to herself.

"Oh, right. I forgot that it's Saturday."

"Please let me drive you to your place. Let me just do this for you. For as long as there's that scar on your chin, let me make it up to you."

Maine was shaking her head, realizing that this conversation was dragging into an argument and she didn't want that. Especially not at eight in the morning. And especially not with Richard whom she had just met.

"Maine, dearie, just let him take you home. He means well."

"Fine. Ok."

"FINALLY! You two were beginning to sound like an old married couple. Come on, let's go Mallows!"