...when stories are told

"I'm also great at other things."

Maine almost dropped her fork when the water bottle fell from the kitchen counter. Richard was quick to pick the bottle before it rolled and fell on the floor. The remote was once again bouncing on the couch, as if trying to check what happened, and wanting to be included. Richard took Bel to the dining table, placing it near the wine bottle.

"Bel, are you ok?"

"I'm fine Dearie, I was just surprised at what Richard said. Ehem, Richard, a word please. Take me out to the balcony. Now."

Richard looked at Maine, as if excusing himself, to which she nodded with her eyes wide and wondering at what just happened. He picked up the bottle and went out to the balcony, slightly closing the sliding glass door. She didn't want to eavesdrop but she faintly heard Bel's voice as if scolding Richard, and she picked up the words "take it slow" and "calm down" and "don't be too fresh". She didn't hear anything from Richard, who, from where she is sitting, appears to be listening intently.

"Oooh, Richard's got a scolding. Not good, not good. Tsk, tsk. Goodness golly, Maine, please don't walk out, please, please, please..."

"Huh? Walk out? Why would I do that Remy?"

"Because Andrea walked out on Richard, because he was being too forward, because he proposed and she said no, because.....oh my, oh my! I said too much! Goodness golly! Oh my, oh my! Richard will be mad at me again, oh no! Please don't tell him Maine, please! Forget what I said! Oooh, I should just keep quiet! I said I will be quiet! Shhh."

Richard was opening the sliding door and went back in, with the bottle in one hand and placed it by the kitchen counter again.

"Sorry about that. Please, let's eat."

Maine smiled at him and felt a little tug in her heart that he got so formal again. She picked up her wine glass and took a sip, looking at him. He resumed eating, and it was all too quiet for her once again, and she just couldn't stand the awkwardness.

"Uhm, what other pasta dishes can you cook?"

Richard looked up at her, his lips a thin line as he just forked in a mouthful of pasta. Some cream escaped from his lips, which he didn't seem to notice. Maine took her napkin and dabbed gingerly on his lips.

"You got some cream over here...there, got it."

He was in a bit of a shock with what she did, and just stared at her while she wiped his lips with the napkin. Recovering, he smiled back at her and answered her question.

"Spaghetti and aglio olio. Just simple ones, I don't really cook much. Pasta's always an easy fall back when I get tired of take-out or delivery, and Bel is very strict when it comes to instant noodles."

"Hmm. I love aglio olio, too. And easy is right, but I'm not that skilled in the kitchen, though. I can fry an egg, for sure, but even that I sometimes mess up. My sister's more of the cook in our family, but she's married now."

"I saw your family photo on your desk. You have four other siblings?"

"Yeah, our eldest is married, then there's my other sister, and two annoying brothers. What about you, any brother or sister?"

"Just me. My parents have long since migrated to the US, I'm all that's left here. Well, there's Bel..."

"Hey! I'm here, too!"

Maine laughed at how Richard rolled his eyes, hearing Remy shout out from behind the couch.

"Yes, Remy, and there's you. I wasn't going to leave you out. Eavesdropping, aren't ya?"