... when reason trumps whining

And so it goes that time flies, seasons change, and everything is possible. Routines were set, habits developed, and yet everything still seems new to them. He's taken to going to the office early because she likes the morning quiet before everyone else comes in. She's enjoying their dinners and eating at different places because he insists they have a proper sit-down meal instead of take-out or delivery. They never tire of cooking for each other, or together, which is most often the case. Which almost always ends up with nothing cooked on time, with hands not on utensils but on each other. And so they'd rather eat out with no fuss. And no big chunks of beef. Just so no choking will happen.

Eleven months to the day when they first met each other on the elevator (she calls it 'the day my chin met your bottle'; he calls it 'the day you scared me with a pen'), and they were getting excited about reaching a year in their relationship. She starts to make plans, but so does he. Amidst all their preparations, their friends are silent witnesses. Seriously silent. And they weren't quite aware of it.

"Do you think they even notice that they seldom talk to us anymore?"

"It doesn't really matter, Bic, dearie. They have each other now."

"But Richard doesn't watch TV with me anymore! And they always go to Maine's place! I've never been to Maine's place! I bet she has her own remote friend there!"

"Oh, shut it Remy. Of course she has her own remote, but it doesn't talk like you, thank goodness!"

"What?! Goodness golly, NO! And they watch TV over there?! But...but...but..."

"Remy, sweetheart, don't feel bad. I'm sure Richard will bring Maine here one of these days. Besides, Bic's here, she will want to get her back."

"Nah. I don't think so. I don't think she even remembers she left me here."

"See?! See?! SEE?!? They're beginning to forget about us! Goodness, oh my goodness! Why are they doing this?!? Oh no..."

"You are such a drama queen."

"Bic, don't be mean. Remy, they are not forgetting us. They just have each other, that's all. Like I said, they're happy with each other, and we should be happy for them."

"Yeah, you're right Bel. I don't mind being here, except that this jumping guy can be sometimes too much...hey, stop bawling! Ugh! Bel, make him stop!"

"Now, now, Remy, listen to me. Remember what I told you when Richard first brought you here?"

"Sniff, sniff...that he is lonely? Sniff, sniff ... And that I have to help him..."

"Exactly. And you have done a wonderful job doing that. But now, do you see how happy he is with Maine?"

"Sniff, sniff..."

"Oh please, Remy, enough with the sniffling! You're not actually crying!"

"I CRY INSIDE!"

"Ok, enough, you two! Do you even understand why we are able to talk to them in the first place?"

"I do! I do!"

"Yes, Remy?"

"Because they're special! And we're special! And that's why they shouldn't just forget us because that will make them not special anymore!"

"Bel, can I squirt ink on this thing? Just a little? Please?!"

"YOU WILL NOT! RICHARD WOULD KNOW! AND I WILL TELL MAINE! YOU'RE BEING MEAN! I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIEND!"

"Oh dear, will you please just keep calm, both of you. Bic, no squirting. Remy, no whining. Now listen. Richard and Maine are indeed special, and that's also why they became quite lonely. Richard's an only child and his parents were pretty much away when he grew up. And Maine..."

"Binky says she was insecure growing up, because her sisters and brothers were all achievers, and she's just...well, she's always felt ordinary."

"That's right, Bic. I'm glad Binky has been telling you this."

"Hey, I'm fine with my girl Maine having Richard in her life. It's this jumpy kid who can't understand."

"So now that they've found each other, Richard's never lonely anymore, and he always makes Maine feel that she's important."

"Sniff, sniff...but, aren't we important, too?"

"Kid, we are important, but you can't expect Richard to just keep watching TV all the time when's he's lonely, right? And I, well, I've always thought my ink will just dry up sooner or later, but dang girl just keeps re-filling me. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

The remote suddenly sprang up, made a few hops to where the pen is leaning on the pillow. The bottle was watching them from the headboard, anticipating what the remote would do.

"Goodness golly...did you actually say something nice to me? Are we going to be friends now?! Is this true?! Oh goodness golly, Bic's being nice to me! We'll be friends! We'll be the best of friends! We sure will be!"

"I will gladly squirt myself dry right now."