... when the staff puts the pieces together

Mondays have never been any employee's favorite day. They drag their feet to work, the first hour after logging in they catch up on each other's weekends and office gossip, and then half the day has passed that nothing productive ever comes out.

But Richard's staff aren't like those, because he always makes them report and turn over their account presentations every Monday. They get to the office early and they scramble to finish the expected reports, so that they're prepared for when he calls them in to the conference room for the nine am briefing.

"What time is it?"

"It's eight, we have thirty minutes before he gets in at 8:30"

"Crap, where's Trina?"

"She's still stuck in traffic. Mike, do you have a copy of the files?"

"Already searching for it."

"Carlos, is he on his way?"

"Just finish whatever you can, I'll be on the lookout."

"Mina, is there any way we can move the meeting to ten?"

"You know he's a stickler for time!"

"Guys, he's coming up!"

They scramble back to their desks as he gets out of the elevator. His dimple was so prominent that the female staff couldn't help but gush as he walked by. They've never seen him this handsome, even the male staff were getting envious. But being tense around him because of his strictness in the office still overpowered that growing admiration for their boss.

As he walked towards his room, he can sense eyes following him, even with the heads of the staff seemingly engrossed on whatever is in front of their computer monitors. He knows all too well that they were just chatting or rushing the presentations that he requires them to report on to start the work week. He smiled as he reached for the door to his room, then suddenly turned around and walked back to his assistant's desk.

"Hey Mina, how was your weekend?"

Mina looked up at him, eyes wide open, then looked around before she was able to utter a sound.

"Uhh, fine, sir..."

"How's your family by the way? You have a 2-year old son, right?"

"Yes sir..."

"What does he like playing with? Does he like toy cars?"

"Yes sir..."

"I saw this new toy car in the mall yesterday and thought your kid might like it. I don't think I gave him a gift on his last birthday."

"..."

"Well, it was nice catching up with you. Please inform the rest of the staff to be ready by... ten. Let's move the meeting an hour, I need to answer some emails first."

Mina was still staring at the closed door when the buzzer on the phone snapped her back to the present.

"Ms. Mina, there's a Ms. Mendoza looking for Mr. Faulkerson."

"Huh?"

"Nicomaine Mendoza? for Mr. Faulkerson?"

"Oh, ah, ok...please send her in."

She stood up and looked over to a pretty woman walking through the corridors. She walked shyly but she was glowing, and Mina smiled, her mind already putting the mystery that is her boss and this woman together. Some of the male staff looked over from their cubicles, openly gawking at the visitor. One was even brave enough to approach her.

"Hi miss, we've been in the elevator together before. Are you looking for me?"

"Uh, hi...actually I'm here to see..."

"Me. Hey, did you miss me already?"

Richard stepped in from behind the male staff who quickly went back to his desk. The other guys can be heard chuckling. Maine smiled as he approached her.

"Don't be cocky, you left this flashdrive in my bag. I just thought you might need it today."

"Oh great! I was just about to go up and get it from you. Thanks!"

"You're welcome, I have to go now."

"Lunch?"

"Sure."

He kissed her on the cheek, which earned very obvious gasps from the staff. Maine looked around and whispered to him.

"Will I be able to get out of here alive? Your staff seem to be in awe."

"Don't mind them, I'm enjoying how shocked they are. See you later."

She turned around back to the doors, when another guy stood and hugged her. He was sobbing.

"Thank you! Thank you so much! You are heaven sent!"

She heard Richard call out.

"Ok Mike, that's enough. Back to work, guys!"