Part 9

(3rd Person PoV; RA base, the infirmary)

    As Tord left the room Edd took his seat next to Tom, emotions breaching his thoughts. The main being regret.
    "Hey Tom..." he greeted the Brit quietly, aware of the small space between the two. His exhausted voids struggled to stay open as he talked. "Hi Edd." He grumbled, a slight soreness in his throat as he talked.
The cola lover examined his state as he laid in the familiar white bedding of the base hospital. His usual careless expression was now replaced by a pale pained one, along with some other things he couldn't quite read, and his brunette spikes now a bit ruffled and lazy looking.
"How're you feeling?" Despite it being a rather stupid question, Edd thought he would ask anyway. Tom only gave him a dumbfounded look. "Alive.." the Brit's eyes suddenly flashed open a bit in remembrance.
"Edd," he gave Tom a questioning look, "Yeah?" He studied his features, taking note of the nervousness in his light brown eyes. He already knew what was coming.
"Please tell me you're not a part of this army.." Edd looked down to the floor with shame. Avoiding his question with ease, as much as he hated it.
The air was silent, all that could be heard were the light shuffles of workers in the distance. "How long?" He asked, his voice breaking the ice like a firework on a late nights wake.
Edd hesitated to give out the truthful answer. "T...two years." He thought Tom would smack him upside the head right then and there, but nothing came. His state was to critical to be tossed with, instead however, his face held a shocked and betrayed expression. "Two years?!" He said, his voice cracking from its previous strain.
"I'm sorry Tom...I was going to tell you eventually." Almost as if he hadn't heard the other, Tom retracted with venom. "Is this why you were gone all those nights?! Is this why you were acting weird for so long?." Edd admitted to his questioning, giving in to Tom's furious state.
    "Why Edd? Why would you work for him? Of all people!" Edd looked him in the eyes, meeting his outraged gaze. It hurt him to see Tom like this, angry and confused...even in pain.
    "I did it to protect you and Matt.." sadness drenched Edd as he remembered the ginger, he missed every little aspect of his company, as much as it would surprise someone.
    He missed it all, having his group of friends all together, doing something stupid or pointless.
    He scoffed, "Protect us? From what?!" Tom's suspicion was growing, at a fast pace to. Only a day ago did Tord tell him that his place in the army would be for the greater good, and now Edd claims he's been protecting him and Matt? What re hell was going on?!
Edd didn't know if it'd be wise to spill information about the subject, so he just stalled instead. "I don't think I can tell you at the moment," Tom was about to object when Edd cut him off. " should get going...you should get some rest as well."
    Tom began to protest, but settled down when he knew he was right. "I- ugh, alright.." with that said Edd stood up, lightly brushing his blue trench coat. "Okay, get some sleep, I'll check back in a while." He cooed with a soothing voice, reminding Tom of all the sweet days when they'd all get along.
He was so caught up in his daydream he barely noticed Edd reaching an easy hand out and ruffling his hair softly. "M'kay" he replied, taking in the other's gesture. Edd removed his hand and turned on his heel towards the exit, Tom watched him go with curiosity.
'He's hiding something.'

(1st Person PoV; Edd)

I walked out of the infirmary and gave a quick sigh of relief, he doesn't need to know about all that yet. Especially in the state he's in, he probably wouldn't even remember if I had told him.
My dark brown combat boots clacked against the ground as I walked, giving me a sense of nonexistent pride. I was about to head to my room to check up on Ringo when I heard some static and an almost inaudible voice come from a device on my waist.

"Edd, Red wants you in his office."

I stopped in my tracks, identifying the voice as no other than Paul's. Why would Tord want to see me? I grabbed the walkie talkie and pressed a button on the side, "Got it, thanks Paul."
    Paul and I have been friends since I got here, as well as Patryk, he's pretty cool.
I walked through the main hall, occasionally greeting fellow soldiers and studying my surroundings.
I began to think about Tom and eventually Tord and Matt. It hurt to remember, but I held on to even the worst memories of our relationship, seeing as it's probably never be the same again.
After Tords freak accident with the robot, I was in denial of his betrayal and I doubted he survived the crash. It was all a mess. After a couple months the three of us began to rebuild our friendship and began making new memories. It was nice, that is until I received a letter in the mail almost a year after it all.
I was clueless at first, I had no idea what the Red Army was, let alone the 'Red Leader'. But I would soon find out.

I sat in my living room alone, seeing as Tom and Matt were off doing their own thing. It was a peaceful morning to say the least, for once in London there were clear skies and I heard the distant chirps of birds, which eased the seemingly tense room.
I glanced up at the tv, it's blank screen complementing the mint green walls as I sat on the couch. The red material comforted me to say the least, it reminded me of him. My belief was that he died in the crash...poor guy. Sure he did the others and I wrong but was death really a suitable consequence?
I picked up a random letter from the pile I had just received from downstairs, it all laid on the couch quite lazily. It's crazy how much mail I get these days.
I took one glance at the envelope and giggled. It looked like something straight out of Harry Potter, it was a vanilla envelope with a red wax seal. Imprinted on it were the initials RA.
    Wonder what that means...Guess I'll find out.
I unfolded one of two papers from inside, reading its contents.....wait, what is this?!!

Dear Edd Gold,
    We hope this letter finds you in good health. The Red Army has decided to provide you a spot in the ranks. Rejection is not an option, if you refuse to show up we will escorted you to base ourselves. We suggest you come to the following address at the following date and time.

Location: 195xx.         Time: 7:30 pm
           Date: January 20, 20xx

                   Sincerely,
                             The Red Army

     Jesus Christ. Guess I know what RA stands for now...I put the letter down with a fretful hand, I was so confused with what I had just read over. My mind began to not think straight.
    Before I began to freak out I grabbed the second paper. What's next, is cola going to be outlawed? Oh god I hope not...

    Edd, I'm sorry about the recruitment letter. Truth is I'm in need of your assistance, and hope you're willing to help. Thomas is is danger and I need you to come in sometime soon so we can discuss the matter. But to put it short, I need you to act as a spy for me for a short while so I can keep an eye on him. I'd like to explain more but unfortunately my time has been cut short, call me if you need anything.  xxx-xxx-xxxx
                     Sincerely,
                             Tord

    Tord?! Tord was behind all this?! Why is Tom in danger?! What is happening?!

    The questions swirled in my head to no end, I put the letter down and brought my hands up to my head, entangling them in my chocolate brown locks. I had to be dreaming right? How did he ever make it out alive?
    I shoved a hand in my hoodie pocket, tearing at the worn material as I searched for my phone. I pulled it out and tapped on the smooth glass screen, quickly typing the given number.

    It rang

    And rang

    And rang for what felt like eternity, until someone finally picked up on the other end.

    "Tord?"

    "Edd,"

    I quickly snapped back to reality, "come in and take a seat." I walked into his office, clueless to what he had to tell me.
    I plopped down into the old victorian like chair, Tord's eye studying me as I did so.
    He made a quick adjustment to his eyepatch before slouching down to his desk, his arms rested atop as always. "You called?" I asked, curiously.

(A/N; hey guys, sorry this chapter is out so late. Things have been complicated and I'm not in the best position to be writing. So please don't be upset if the next update or two come out later than usual. Thanks for reading, hope you guys understand ❤️) -Swingster