5

"Peter, I'm going to pretend that I didn't see you." My mother's voice woke me up. Early sunlight filtered in through the cracks between the heavy drapes. I opened my eyes and was brought back to reality as Peter slid out of my bed, kissing me good morning and good-bye. 

I sat up and sleepily tugged at my hair, running my hands through it to unbraid it. My mother smiled and opened the drapes. Sunlight flooded the room and I was blinded. "Morning," I mumbled, rubbing my eyes. 

"We are meeting with the Malum family in one hour for breakfast. You are going to be meeting your future husband, whether you like it or not." I scowled. "I know this is unfair, but be nice." Mother kissed my forehead. 

"It's going to be okay." And then she was gone. I rolled out of bed and sat at my vanity. Carefully, I painted my face. Red lips, dark eyes, sharp cheekbones. Something to be afraid of, something not to messed with. Something to make the Malum king think twice before opening his fat mouth. 

Maids came in and asked me if I needed any help. I told all of them to leave except Irene, my favorite. She smiled and gave my a hug after the other maids left. 

"I know what you are going to go through is unfair and terrible, but know this," Irene said, "you are stronger than you think. Strong enough to bring this realm to its knees." 

"Thank you, Irene," I whispered. She opened my closet and dug through my clothes. 

"We need a dress to make those Malum pigs think twice. What about this one?" I smiled and nodded. 

"Definite yes."

*     *     *

The Malum family was sitting at the table, dressed in fine clothes and looking rather alert for so early in the morning. I noticed the seating was very rigid. King and Queen Malum at one end, my parents at the other end, and we were to be seated across from our betrothed. 

My brother was talking quietly to Princess Malum. I took a seat across from the Prince at took a glance at him. His hair was styled to sweep across his forehead. He had sharp cheekbones, an almost gaunt face. And his eyes. 

They were beautiful and terrifying. 

Ice blue eyes, so clear you could see through them, into the raging fire within. 

I sat down and laid my napkin across my lap. "Good morning," I said, trying to be polite. 

"Good morning m'lady," he replied. I fought to urge to smile and replied, "Please just call me Raven. Even Princess Ebony works." I dared to look up, finding him already looking at me. A ghost of a smile crossed his face. 

"My name is Tristian. It is very nice to meet you," I smiled at him and served myself. Fresh fruit and a roll from the bowls and trays laid out on the table. He leaned forward and I looked up at him again. 

"I am very sorry that this has happened to you. I thought you knew. This isn't my choice, either," he paused and glanced at his father, who was drinking deeply from his goblet, "don't let my father fool you. I am not like him."

"I would hope not," I said without thinking. I blushed. "Apologizes."

"It's fine. I saw you sitting near a young man. I am sorry if you cannot marry him anymore."

"My love life is none of your concern," I snapped. Tristian leaned back in his chair. This time I didn't apologize. I busied myself with eating, taking bites of fruit, buttering my roll. He noticed and stopped talking. 

I felt bad. He must have had someone at his court he wanted to marry. But now we had to marry each other. I thought of Peter, my heart twisting. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came to mind. 

"Your kingdom is very beautiful," Tristian said softly. "So many flowers and animals. And it's warm." The Southern Kingdom, winter court. 

"I can take you on a tour if you would like," I said. I cursed myself. Take him on a tour? Why couldn't I think before I spoke? 

"I would love that, thank you," Tristian said, smiling. He had a nice smile. I looked over at my parents, who were smiling and talking across the table to the other king and queen. My mother smiled at me. A smile of approval. 

"If you're finished," I said, "We could go now?" Tristian paused and wiped his mouth with the napkin. 

"I think that would be lovely," he said.

"Follow me."