32

"Hello, Tristian."

He froze in fear, his hand rigid on his wine glass. 

"Raven."

The sound of my footsteps echoed off of the cold marble. I dragged my hand along the throne as I circled around him, my dagger in hand.

"How did you get in?" He asked, his voice trembling. I scoffed as I walked to face him. I ran my hand down his arm and stole his wine glass from his hand. I took a long drink and threw the glass. He flinched as it shattered on the ground. 

I leaned in close and slid my hands around his throat. "Don't underestimate me, Tristian." He flinched again. "You did that once. I would think before making the same mistake twice." 

He looked me dead in the eye, his fiery eyes burning into mine. He stiffened and glared at me. "You think you can defeat me?" I tightened my grip. "You were nothing when I killed your family and you're nothing now. I regret not making it last longer," he whispered. 

I stopped cold. "What did you just say to me?"

"I regret not making their deaths last. I wish I could go back. Break each of their bones, rip out their throats with my bare teeth, burn them alive."

My hands turned to ice as my heart stopped beating. 

"What. Did. You. Just. Say?"

"I said-"

He was on the floor of the throne room, my power throwing him over my head. He screamed in pain. "How dare you say that!" I screamed, crushing my hands into fists. Black magic poured my body, through the dragon's tear, and wrapped around him. 

"You are a coward!" I thundered at him. "A worthless, bloodthirsty, coward!" He shrieked, blood pooling on the floor. The doors slammed open and I jumped back, losing my hold on him. 

"Kill her!" He shrieked. "Kill her!"

I switched my dagger to a sword and stood my ground, waiting for the army to come to me. 

It was the Winter Army. A mix of creatures, all wearing icy white armor. With one wave of darkness, I knocked the first line back, killing them instantly. 

They kept coming.

The birds swooped down, trying to attack me. I changed my mind and switched to my bow. I fired at them, taking the birds down while shooting spikes of darkness through the air. They pierced the soldiers through their hearts. 

I stepped back again, slowly being overpowered. 

A window shattered and familiar red and gold wings greeted me. A wave of fire rolled over the army, stopping them for a moment. 

"Phoenix," I breathed, stepping toward him. He turned and smiled. 

"Hello, Raven."