7

"Again." My trainer, Alvar, called for the hundredth time. She was standing away from the battleground, watching from a distance. I blew a hair out of my face and practically snarled at my opponent. He was a wiry male, toned and sure-footed.

She blew a whistle and we fought again, each with a sword. The swords screamed as the metal clashed. I threw all my weight into it, swinging at him. Our swords clashed again and we pushed against each other. I hooked my foot around his ankle and shoved him. He slammed against the ground and I kicked his sword away, pointing my own at his throat. 

"Winner," Alvar yelled, walking to us. I pulled up my opponent and helped dust the dirt from his back. "Very good," Alvar said, patting me on the shoulder. A few onlookers clapped as my opponent limped from the battleground, his ankle crooked. It wouldn't be a problem, though, we had healers no hand. 

"But," I said, pushing stray hairs out of my face. Alvar smiled and said, "But nothing. It was good." I was about to ask what I could do better, which I did after every sparring when my mother walked onto the battleground. Alvar smiled at her and winked at me. 

"Hello, mother," I said. She smiled at me and said, "Hello, Raven. I saw your match. You're doing excellent." I smiled. Once my parents realized my magic was not powerful, the decided to train me to be a powerful warrior instead. I was turning into one of the best. Possibly to become the first female leader of the Northern Kingdom warriors. 

"I have a present for you. Your father and I were not able to give it to you yesterday." She opened her palms and a long, black box materialized. She handed it to me. It was heavy, so I sat down and slowly took the top off. 

It was a beautiful longsword, masterfully crafted. Black stones sat in the base part of the blade with beautiful gems creating a wolf on the hilt. Each person was given a spirit animal when they are born. Mine was a wolf. 

"Wow," I breathed, admiring its beauty. My mother waved a hand and said something under her breath. The sword dispersed into a thousand tiny black dots, which floated through the air and landed on my skin in a beautiful pattern. When it was finished arranging itself, it was a floral pattern that went from my fingertips, up to my upper arm, fading into a howling wolf. I looked at my mother. 

"There is a spell that binds the sword to you. You can call it whenever you need it. Your father and I created it so it can change to a longsword or a dagger or a bow." I threw my arms around her and hugged my mother tightly. 

"Thank you," I cried. She hugged me back tightly and whispered, "I love you so much. You bow to no one." I pulled away, wanting to ask what she meant, but she smiled at me, a look in her eyes telling me everything I needed to know. Don't ask, just remember. 

Alvar walked back up to me and asked, "Would you like to continue today?" I nodded and looked down at my newly tattooed arm. It was beautiful. I said, "I want to practice with my new sword." 

Alvar watched from afar again, letting me figure it out on my own. It took a while, but I started to feel the sword, waiting for me. I called it and willed it away many times before trying to change it. As a dagger, as a bow. I practiced with each one until I was comfortable. 

Just as I was finished, I looked up and saw Tristian watching me, smiling. "You fight?" I asked, walking over to him. He was sitting in the stands around the battleground, which was an arena, with seats going all around. I leaned over the railing, not caring what he thought of me. We agreed to be friends. 

He smiled and leaned toward me. "I do, but I'm afraid this would not be a fair fight."

"Oh?"

"You're obviously far more advanced than me. I would lose in a heartbeat," he said, smiling. I rolled my eyes and asked, "So what brings you here?" 

"Other than to watch you kick ass, I do have to bring you to dinner, tonight," he sighed, leaning in. His breath tickled my ear as he whispered, "I am going to propose tonight." I blushed and looked away. 

"Okay, well I'll go get ready for dinner then." I willed the sword away and walked myself to my room, where I showered and tried to pick out a dress. My mother's words still echoed in my head. You bow to no one.