27

"Just remember," Phoenix said, not letting go of my hand. "I'm right out here. If anything goes wrong, get out of there."

"Everything will be okay," I said, gripping his warm hand. He smiled and gasped, "I almost forgot." He dug out two stones from his pocket. One was black as night, the other a milky white, practically glowing.

"Before we left, I grabbed these. Enchanted stones. It will keep us in touch. If it leaves your body, it will let me know that you are in trouble. Just keep it in your pocket and if you need me, drop it." I took the black stone and observed it closely. 

Up close, it had a glossy shine to it, the black dotted with star-like speckles. I smiled and gripped it in my hand tightly, dropping it into my pocket. I turned to the cave and took in a deep breath, inhaling the cold mountain air. 

"Raven..." I looked at Phoenix, my hand still in his. "Be careful." He lightly kissed my hand and let my hand drop, telling me to go. I had to do this. For Viviaenth. 

"Phoenix, I-"

He leaned forward, stopping the words that wanted to spill from my mouth. I closed the distance and kissed him. The heat swirled around us, warming my heart, just for a moment. My hand went to his neck, my fingers in his hair. His hands wrapped around my waist, pulling me close. 

When we pulled away he leaned his forehead on mine and whispered, "Be careful." 

"I promise," I whispered back, walking away from him. Part of me was screaming at me for cheating on Peter. But the other part was smiling at the warmth in my heart, the happiness sparked inside. 

I called my sword to my hand and started for the cave. Fear gripped my chest, something pulling me back. The darkness swallowed me whole. When I turned again, I couldn't see Phoenix. My hand gripped the stone tightly. Don't be afraid.

The darkness swirled around me, closing in. I swallowed hard and kept walking forward, the hilt of my sword slick with sweat. My instincts screamed at me to turn back. I couldn't now. 

The hair on the back of neck stood up, goose bumps crawling down my arms. My breathing came in short spurts, the oxygen seeming to leave the cave. I took another step and looked around again. 

I couldn't see anything. 

I couldn't hear anything. 

I couldn't breathe.

I dropped to my knees, the bone cracking against the stone. I cried out but couldn't even hear myself. The darkness was suffocating me. I was dying. I reached for the stone, to drop it, but I couldn't. I couldn't kill off someone else I loved.

I dropped my sword and started gasping, fighting to breathe again. 

Don't be afraid.

I opened my eyes and took a deep breath. Why should I be afraid of the dark if it was inside me? I grabbed my sword and slowly stood, the darkness fading, seeping into my own skin. I should not be afraid, especially not of myself. 

The darkness was mine. 

I walked forward, each step becoming clearer. The pale stone underfoot. The high ceilings overhead. The tunnel turned sharply and opened up into a cavern.

In front of me laid a great, deep purple dragon.