33

"Phoenix. How are you...? Your wings?" I stumbled over my words as I looked over his wings, which were intact. He laughed. 

"Angelina overreacted. I'm so sorry. They sort of fixed themselves." I hugged him tightly but pulled away as the Army came closer. "Do you have a plan?" He asked me.

My mind raced, thoughts blurring into each other, but a hasty plan formed. "Yes." My magic, which came easily now thanks to my gift from Sagacity. "Meet me outside, in the field. Go now," I said. 

Phoenix pulled me close and kissed me. I smiled and watched as he flew away, going out the broken window. I exhaled and melted into the darkness. I grabbed Tristian and together we crashed through the window and out into the sunlight. 

Bleeding into the darkness took a lot of effort, as did teleporting that way. I dropped Tristian over the field, changing back to my human form. My wings stretched out and I circled around the ground. 

Phoenix was waiting below as I had asked. Two figures were waiting below with them. Tristian was laying in the grass, bleeding heavily. And coming from the castle was the Winter Army. 

I landed and smiled at the waiting people. Phoenix, of course. But Angelina and Ruby as well. "What-"

"I'm sorry," Angelina said. She crushed me in a hug, being careful to avoid my wings. "I was scared for Phoenix and I took it out on you and-"

"It's okay," I told her. "It's okay." She smiled and I hugged Ruby. "I only care that you are here."

Phoenix asked, "What's the plan?"

I took a deep breath. "We fight the Winter Army."

I quickly explained the plan to them as the Army grew closer and closer. "Understand?"

"Yes," they answered in unison. I nodded and turned around, facing the Army. The leader from their side shouted at us. 

"Do you surrender?" He yelled.

My clothes rippled beneath my hands as I moved them downward. A black, red, and silver battle outfit. With my wings still out, a spiked crown on my head. I walked toward them, crossing the battlefield. 

Instead of going to their leader, I stopped in front of Tristian. 

"Surrender?" He spat out, hunched over. I scoffed and shook my head. He squinted at me. "Who are you?"

I called my sword to my hand. "I am the Dark Queen."

I plunged the sword into Tristan's heart without hesitation. Something in the distance exploded, the dragon's tear on my necklace shivering.

Tristian died before my eyes, in front of his Army. But they didn't come toward us. They were too busy staring at something behind me. I pulled my sword out and turned, squinting into the sunlight. Flying toward us was a great shadow. 

Sagacity was bigger than I imagined. His wings were longer than his body, the same style as a bat's. His body was black and deep purple, scales running the length of him. His tail flew out from behind him, a purple flame on the end. 

The ground shuddered as he landed, his enormous claws making impressions in the dirt. He bowed his head. 

"I am at your service, Queen Raven."