22

"Again, Princess," Phoenix said, rolling his shoulder back. He cracked his wrist as he swung the sword around, loosening up his arms. I sat up and wiped the dust from my arms before scowling at him. 

"Shut up," I said, gritting my teeth. He shrugged and said, "I will stop calling you that when you figure out how to release your energy."

I rolled my eyes. He had been saying that for the past week. 

I still had no idea how to get my energy out.

"Ruby," he yelled. "We have to resort to Plan B."

"What's Plan B?" I demanded. He shook his head and said, "You'll see."

Ruby walked out and argued with Phoenix for a few minutes, never breaking eye contact with him. I walked in lazy circles, fiddling with my sword. She walked over to me and put her hand on mine, stopping me. 

Ruby walked around me, placed her hands on my head, and whispered in my ear, "I'm sorry."

"What are you-"

Everything exploded. 

A tidal wave of memories crashed down over my mind. A swirl of horrors flashed before my eyes, replayed over and over. Bowing before Tristian. Watching my parents die. Killing my one true love. The pain replayed over.

And over.

And over.

I was screaming. I was screaming and my heart was screaming. Something inside snapped allowing the pain to wash over everything. The darkness seeped from my skin again, thunder rumbling in my ear. 

"Stop!" The world shattered. The darkness seeped back into my skin, the memories fading into my mind. I collapsed onto the ground and put a hand to my chest. Sobs wracked my body as I tried to breathe. 

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," Ruby cried. Phoenix wrapped his arms around me and whispered, "I'm sorry, too." I pushed him away and pushed my hair back. He sighed. 

"What?" I snarled at him. 

"I know what to do."