23

"What is it?" I repeated, breathing hard. I didn't try to stand. I was shaking too hard. 

"In the Southern Kingdom, there is a rumor," Phoenix said. "Of a dragon. One drop of its venom can unleash the power inside of the Warrior."

"Who is the Warrior?" I asked, pushing Phoenix's hand off my shoulder. I covered my eyes with my hands and tried to breathe. Just breathe. 

"Whoever the dragon thinks it worthy. I think it could be you." I glared at him through my fingers and asked, "How would I get to the Southern Kingdom? All of Vivanenth is looking for me!" Ruby snickered and I debated glaring at her, too.

"Well, we fly."

I opened my mouth to say something when flames exploded from Phoenix's back. I jumped back in surprise, my fingers wrapping around my sword. The fire faded, leaving a pair of red and gold wings coming from his back. He grinned and said, "I was named after my powers were known."

I gaped at them and stood up, stumbling. He grabbed my arm, steadying me. "What-"

"Listen," he said. "We can leave tomorrow, give you some time to recover. But the King has already taken over the Southern and Northern Kingdoms, heading for Western next. He's going to take over the spring court and then come for us. We're running out of time!"

I took a deep breath and willing my sword away. "Fine," I said. "We can leave tonight, under darkness. How long can you fly?" Phoenix grimaced. 

"Carrying someone will slow us down. We can be there in a week at the soonest time. I nodded and looked at Ruby, then Phoenix again, his wings beautiful. 

"Okay." He smiled. "Tonight."

* * *

"You're leaving?" Angelina was furious with Phoenix. I laid down on the cot and curled up, trying hard not to cry as the memories crashed down again. I would take a nap and we would leave at nightfall.

Ruby sat next to me and set one of her small hands on my arm. My thoughts subsided, a sense of calm washing over me. Ruby smiled squeezed my arm, reassuring me. 

I pretended not to listen to Phoenix and Angelina as they walked upstairs, still yelling. "This is the best shot we have," Phoenix argued. 

"You can't just leave Ruby and I alone here, not with the King coming soon. It's too dangerous. We've never been separated!"

"Angelina! You and Ruby are at your strongest right now. Ruby and I will be able to have contact, especially with her powers growing stronger. One week. Then we will be back!" 

Anger ripped off of Angelina as she stomped back downstairs, into the kitchen. I sat up and held onto Ruby's hand. 

"One week," Angelina said. "And if you are not back here, I will come find you and bring you home, understand?" 

"Deal," Phoenix said. 

Don't worry about Angelina, Ruby whispered in my head, still looking at them. We've been together forever. It makes her nervous to away so far, for so long. But everything will be fine. 

I smiled and thought, Thank you. I could tell by the look on her face that she heard me. 

Rest. We'll wake you at nightfall.

I fell asleep quickly with the help of Ruby, darkness swallowing me whole. 

* * * 

"It's time to go," Phoenix whispered, shaking me. I groaned and opened my eyes, sad to leave such a peaceful sleep. "Let's go."

Phoenix helped me up and handed me a jacket. I pulled it on and glanced at my tattoos. He nodded and we stepped outside, where Ruby and Angelina were waiting. Angelina hugged me tightly and whispered, "Keep him safe, please. He's my only brother." 

Ruby hugged me next, the same sense of calm washing over me, comforting thoughts silencing my bad ones. 

Phoenix unleashed his wings and opened his arms. He scooped me up and I wrapped my arms around his neck. He tightened his grip, opened his wings and we took off. 

Night air heightened my senses, making me feel alive for the first time in a long time. I pressed my face into his chest and he chuckled. 

"What?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Nothing. You're just so cute for a powerful person." My face heated, but I didn't say anything. I simply leaned against his chest and breathed in the cool night air, counting the stars.