Chapter 1

"Oh no, Lisa! If it wasn't for the fact that I was up watching my fave hotties on Netflix, I wouldn't have even picked up your call, let alone stay up to talk to you."

My best friend stopped for a moment, and I distinctly heard the crunching sound of the chips she had stuffed her mouth with.

"By the way..." Another pause, "What the hell do you think you are doing all alone at the streets a fucking four in the morning?! Don't you know that there are bad, bad people that can harm my little baby?!"

I rolled my eyes, "I am not a baby Allie, and I told you the reason three times, already."

"My apologies, really, for being concerned for my best friend." She said, sarcastically, and I could imagine her rolling her eyes while balancing the phone between her head and her shoulder and using her two gifted hands - one of which should be holding the phone - to eat the chips. I could, again, hear the crunching sounds in between, even when she was speaking.

This woman, I swear!

"What if you come across those awful, terrible people that roam around the city at night like zombies who would eat you up?" There she goes. "Do you think a handsome, charming man would come to your rescue and then you two would instantly fall in love with each other? Do you think he would be hot? Rich? Damn! What if he is like Christian Grey?! He would take you to his playroom-"

"Oh shut up, Alexandria! I know you are a freaking editor but you need to keep the things that cook up in your brain from coming out of your mouth! And please, I am not a desperate virgin to go after a hot guy who just wants a hard fuck! I want more..." I tried to search for the right word, "Substance."

"Well, then, I think I come in the category of desperate virgins. But Hey! I'm not a virgin. Wait! You changed the topic!" She said in an accusing tone, "Now tell me again! Is something wrong with your biological clock that you forgot that it's more than four hours past bedtime?"

Remind me why was she my best friend, again?

I rolled my eyes, "No, nothing's wrong with my biological clock, Allie. I told you, I got locked in the office."

"But who the hell gets locked into her own office? Where was the security in charge?"

"I don't know, there was no one when I came outside. Wherever he was, it took him long anyway." I sighed and kicked a stone on the pavement. The road was eerily silent with no sign of life around me. The whole city seemed to be asleep, leaving the advertisement boards and the street lights as the only source of light for me.

"Yeah, he looked a bit constipated in the evening when I saw him. Seriously, but what you were doing for so long in there? I mean, your shift ends at five, right?"

"Oh, it's all because of Larissa. You know her, that bitch. Since she has become the Head Editor of our publishing company, she has been flying castles in the air and now she has taken a nearly year long vacation from work." I scoffed. "Being her assistant, I have to take up all of her job at editing and other publishing stuff she did. I don't know how but she somehow managed to fuck up everything in the company. The moment she's gone, I'm the one handling it. It's been freaking five months and I still haven't been able to to sort the shit out! She isn't even sending someone for assistance! And the worst thing is, since she has married into the Powers family, she thinks she is some kind of a queen and she keeps bitching around, ordering me and provoking me all the damn time! With Larissa around, I almost feel the desperation to learn the art of voodoo, and now that she's not around- Hey! Allie! You there?"

I groaned. No wonder, I was wondering why she hadn't started interrupting me to talk about Larissa's hot husband, Terrence Powers, because I remembered her crushing on him ever since she saw him for the first time.