Chapter 5

"Jenny!"

"Listen to me, honey. I will always want the best for you." She cooed as if I was a little baby throwing a tantrum.

"I know that, Jenny, and I love you for that. But this? No."

I let out a low growl.

"Oh, sweetie." She sighed, making me feel as if I was a rebellious and difficult child, which I was not, "I won't lie to you; I have no idea what you have been through. But even you know that the smart and sensible and decision, here, and now, is to be back together, with each other, where the both of you belong."

Both of us belong? I wanted to roll my eyes.

"For the tenth time, Jenny," I growled again but tried to calm myself down, "Terrence Powers is neither my boyfriend, husband, nor my ex."

"Denial is the first step after rejection, love, and then is anger. I know you are a smart girl, and I know that you've moved on from whatever the two of you had." She smiled a warm smile at me, that had me almost, almost melting.

I sighed.

"I have no idea what you are talking about. And I have no idea what's gotten into your head. Today was the first time I met him properly, Jenny. There's no way I could have had any kind of a relationship with him before. I had always thoughts he was married." I flopped back on the couch.

Jenny was a fifty two year old sweetheart, living with her husband, the love of her life, right across my apartment. She was amazing, and was a diehard romantic, along with being so lovely and kind. After the death of my parents, when I had decided to move into this apartment, she had helped me all along, and made me food whenever I was too tired to do anything on my own.

All the time I had been staying here, she always said that I needed to find a man who could take care of me and treat me like his queen. I never met that man, much to her dismay, but she never lost hope.

Now that she had seen Terrence Powers walking out of my doorstep, giving me a playful uninterrupted kiss on the cheek, it was as if her fantasies had come alive and now she believed that he was an ex of mine and had dumped me due to some misunderstanding.

That uninterrupted kiss led to a long cold shower so that my cheeks would stop burning. But no, I didn't have a crush on Terrence Powers at all!

"But he is not, is he? He might or might not love you, but he cares for you deeply, sweetie. I could see it in his eyes, how upset he was, when he was asking around for you. You both need each other right now, and maybe you might be able to forgive him and someday love him." She frowned.

This woman is delusional. Terrence Powers upset for me? No way!

I let out a deep breath, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Jenny, you need to tone down the amount of romance novels you are reading. He is —"

"Calm down, Lisa. You have to think about your babies too, now. The fate of those two little lives are in your hands now, do what's right." She gave me a small smile, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.