Chapter 24

"Alyssa!" Someone's panicked voice annoyed me out my trip to Death.

"What?! I told you...I told you to let me die...in peace!"

Why is it getting so difficult to breathe?

"Keep your eyes open! You are not going to die on us!" The voice sounded distant, but I knew it came from somewhere near me, "You cannot die on me." It reduced to a harsh, desperate whisper, "I love you, Alyssa,   I need you. I...I have been an ass —"

"Terrence?" I whispered. Yes, breathing was now a tough job and it was interfering with what could be my last words, "I lied...I don't hate you...I love you. And I didn't take Raine and Ryan away."

"I know, I know," Soft lips kissed my forehead and I sighed, ready to just die. I always wanted a natural death, or something like dying in my sleep. This agonising kind of death — it was not me. I wanted to get this over with as soon as possible.

"Don't leave me," he sobbed above me, "Just stay for a little while, the ambulance will reach soon. Then we will get you to the hospital —"

"Can I leave after that?" Words escaped me in one breath.

"God, no, Alyssa. Don't say things like that. You're not going anywhere. I'm so sorry, Alyssa...I...I love you so much but I've been doing everything wrong. I just can't...please, just a few minutes more, baby, then you'll be fine."

"I can't do this, now, Terrence..." I couldn't even feel the tears running down my cheeks, "I'm tired." I took in a breath, "And if you really... really want to prove that you're ... sorry... make sure she doesn't get her hands on them ever again. And when they grow up tell them that no one can love them more than I do."

"No fucking way!" His words were a harsh sob disguised in an order, "Because you are going to show Raine and Ryan yourself how much you love them!" I didn't know why he was panicking so much. Like me, he should've accepted by now that there was no saving me.

"I..." I coughed a little, "I don't think so!"

"Get away from her you fucktard!"

There. There was the voice of my stubborn warrior and best friend, Allie.

"I'm not going anywhere!" Terrence bellowed and I wished I had the energy to sock him I'm his face because his screaming was annoying me. I just wanted to fucking die now!

"Oh, really? Don't you touch her!" She was screaming, "She's lying in her own pool of blood like that because of you and your fucking nutcase family! The farther you are from her, the more chances that she's going to get through this!"

Another body came beside me, and I was held gently by Allie, "Stay here with me, Liz. You're not leaving me alone. You're going to fucking get through this and then we're going to shoot Terrence and his entire family in their asses - except the twins of course. Keep your eyes open, take in a deep breath."

"I love you, Allie. Stop...being so... difficult about everything. I..."

I took in my last deep breath before fading into the darkness.

"...can't."

""**********""

"She's in a critical condition. We are going to keep her under observation."

Someone mumbled something.

"I'm sorry, Sir. We cannot say anything now. She has lost blood, and her injuries will take a lot of time to heal. We don't know how much struggle her body can take. A bullet wound in the shoulder, concussion, bruised ribs, broken ankle are only a few of the things we have to worry about."