Chapter 3

"So you need arrangements to be done so that you can work from home because you have important personal matters to attend to?" He asked, raising an eyebrow, after we finally got the time to discuss peacefully without any interruption.

"Yes."

"And may I ask what these personal matters are?" He asked again, leaning forward and joining his fingers in a steeple as those deep blue eyes regarded me.

I straightened myself and responded curtly, "No. They are being called personal for a reason."

"Look, Miss Allison—"

"It's Alyssa." I said, for the tenth time, annoyed.

"Okay, Alyssa, you are Larissa's assistant, and you are important to the publishing house in her absence. But it doesn't mean that you can misuse your position and sit in your house and work like the lazy ass you are. We will not hesitate before firing you and hiring another, more capable assistant. So either you work like you used to, or resign." His voice grew deeper and angrier with every word.

I was working and clearing up his wife's mess and I was the lazy ass?

"Excuse me?"

"You are excused; you can actually leave, right now, and you'll make me the happiest man on the Earth."

I slammed my hands on his desks and glared at him, annoyed at his antics and his completely untactful behaviour. Resign? Seriously?

You need to take a nice shower to clean yourself. Who knows he might have done it on his desk and probably even his chair.

"At least some kind of arrangement should be possible, Mr. Powers!" I exclaimed.  "This job is really important to me and—"

"Then work like you were doing before and stop making shitty excuses in Larissa's absence!" He said, standing up and slamming his fists on the desk, earning a deep scowl from me.

"If that's what you want," I paused, trying to stay calm but failing miserably, 'cause that slug looked so damn smug.

"... Go find a new assistant because I. Am. Resigning!" I spat.

That wiped the victorious look out of his face and he gaped at me. I stood up, pushing the chair behind me, turned on my heels and walked out of his office, flipping off his assistant, Hoe, on my way.

I stomped down towards my car, ready to head home, but not at all ready for the scene waiting for me at that place.

A scene of destruction.

*****************

Either work like you used to, or resign.

I mimicked his words, mocking a deep, gravelly voice, which came out of my mouth more like the voices of the ghosts in the Conjuring movies. I was driving my car at a neck-breaking speed, my body, without doubt, radiating my anger. The fury that had been causing havoc in me since I stomped out of that dreaded office made me forget all the traffic rules as I pressed my foot on the accelerator.