Chapter 6

My mother, since her childhood, had this weird fantasy about the Bermuda Triangle. Her naturally curious nature was to be blamed for it, but I couldn't understand why my dad, too, was always dreaming about it. Both of them, since their childhood, wanted to go to that horrible place and desperately wanted to know what was so magical in it that so many people and vessels disappeared in there.

That was the only thing over which they bonded, and fell in love with each other. When I was younger, I had always thought that the Bermuda Triangle must be the greatest gift to mother Earth, because it was what held my parents together. Their love for each other was strong, and their love for that place was stronger. Whenever they fought, all I had to do was scream "Who wants the Bermuda Triangle!" And they would immediately make up and do whatever the hell they did in their room. I even remember Dad telling me how he proposed mom.

"Alaira, I love you, you love me, we both love the Bermuda Triangle. So why don't you be mine forever, so that I can make us a beautiful ship, and we will sail there together?"

My mother immediately said yes, and had once told me that it was the best and the most romantic proposal ever.

My parents were weird, I knew that.

I mean, seriously? It was so shitty, but then BT lovers were finally together and mentioning the B-word earned my father the golden points.

Eventually, they had it all planned. After having kids and enjoying their lives with their grandkids - at a point where they knew that they had lived their life fully, they would set on a sail to that place. Being their only daughter, I used to hear it every time my father was home, that some day, after he retired, he would take my mother there.

When I had actually gotten to know the horrible history of that place, I broke down and cried loudly, disturbing the entire neighbourhood. I refused to talk to them for a week and even asked my neighbour to contact the best asylum that could cure my parents' weird fantasies.

Soon, I had grown to accept their weirdness, but I never knew that they would actually fulfill their dreams one day.

Imagine my surprise, when four years ago, I got a call in the middle of one of my classes informing me that the flight my parents had boarded lost its route and was now lost, that too in the Bermuda Triangle?

I remember how I laughed loudly, and everyone looked at me as if I had lost my mind, using the phone and laughing in the middle of the class. I had said, "Give the phone to mom, I know she's just trying to mess with me. It is way too early for them to go to that dreaded place."

She wasn't messing with me.

Apparently, my father was back home from his duty, in the Army, and wanted to take the love of his life on a world tour. My first question was if we actually had enough money to do that. And my second one was how long it would take them to come back home.

I never knew it would take them forever. I should have known, when watching them for the last time at the airport didn't seem right.

When I was informed in detail, I cursed the pilot, for not being able to navigate properly, even after all of his years of experience. I cursed Mother Earth, for letting a place like that exist. I cursed myself, for letting them go on that accursed trip. I knew I wouldn't have been surprised if someone told me that it was my mother or my father who begged the pilot to land right in that fucking death trap.