Chapter 4

Chapter 4 / Lurking Exes
Changsub's POV

My whole system was awakened.

When did I get a girlfriend?

I blinked twice, staring at Park Chorong beside me. I can't believe what she's doing.

She extended her hand with a smile to Naeun and Ilhoon, then she shook hands with them. "It's nice to meet you, but we should be going after this. Changsub's not feeling well but he wanted to wish me luck for my important appointment so here he is."

"Oh," Naeun muttered, too shocked. "It would have been nice to share a table." She said once she recovered. "But if he's not feeling well, then you should hurry."

Chorong hooked her arm with mine. I almost flinched. "Yeah, I'm so sorry. Cheesecake is my favourite and he said it might boost up my confidence if I eat one before the appointment." She said with a wide, lovely smile.

"That's so... sweet!" Naeun said, too high-pitched.

Whatever Chorong is doing, it is working.

"Then, we'll be going to our table." Chorong said.

"Oh, yeah, sure... enjoy!"

I bowed, bending my head just a little as we go to show that I'm alright even though it was one of the most difficult things to do in my life. As I did, I noticed Naeun's hand. She's wearing a different ring. My face twitched in pain but I didn't look at her again.

As we settled to our table earlier, I sipped a huge amount of Iced Americano, staring at Chorong who's now devouring her cheesecake quickly.

"What?" She asked later.

"Don't eat like that."

She frowned. "We have to leave asap."

I sipped more coffee. I want it to kick in so I could really, fully be awake, so I could confirm that this is not a nightmare.

When Chorong finished, we brought our coffee outside when we left the shop, neither of us looked back.

"Why did you do that?" I asked. We're now crossing the pedestrian line.

"Because you malfunctioned." She replied, not looking at me.

"What?"

She groaned. The stoplight became red as we reached the other side of the road. "Becauseㅡ" She paused and sighed. "Because you didn't see your face in front of them. I did."

"You didn't have to do that." I said in a cold voice.

She clenched her jaw. "I know. I don't know why I did itㅡbut maybe I wouldn't have, if you didn't look stupid in front of your ex-fiancé and her current fiancé."

I looked at her sharply. "You don't know anythingㅡ"

"Oh, I do, a little. That important ring you were looking for was your engagement ring with her, but now she has another man and you're still hang up over her. You know what? I don't care if you still are, but don't make yourself look like a fool. She's happy. Don't show her how miserable you are because you won't get her back that way." She said and walked away.

I stayed where I was because I couldn't move as her words sank in my head. That was the very first time that someone told me the truth so boldly. Maybe because she doesn't know me, or she doesn't know how painful it is for meㅡbut her words, not the coffee, were like a slap that awoke me completely.

#

Chorong's POV

I don't know why I'm upset.
I'm probably just going to look for other singers. So what if Lee Changsub sings like an angel? So what if his voice is only one of the voices that moved me?