Chapter 14

Chapter 14 / The Fall
Chorong's POV

My heart sank.

And then I let out a relief when I saw Namjoo and Eunji singing happily together. There's Hayoung, Bomi and Sungjae tooㅡand another guy I don't know of.

I almost cried of happiness. "Yaaah!" I frowned at Namjoo and Eunji who came to hug me. "You worried me!"

"My apologies, Park Chorong-ssi, it was the only way." Eunji said grinning.

"I'm totally happy and not crying, eonni. Happy birthday!" Namjoo said with a huge smile.

I hugged them both tightly. "Please don't do that again."

"I know you thought we've forgotten about the day you get older." Eunji teased.

My cheeks reddened. "Yah!"

They laughed and came to me one by one. After the two, Hayoung rushed to hug me. "Happy birthday, my pretty cousin."

"Why did you come? Aren't you busy?" I asked.

She smiled, still as pretty as ever. "Never too busy for you!"

"Aye!" I bumped my shoulder with hers. We giggled.

Bomi came to give me a hug with that shy smile of hers. "I haven't known you so long but I really like you, eonni! Thank you for everything you've done for my brother. Happy birthday!"

"Thank you, Bomi-ah. But your brother..." I said, looking at her quizzically.

She grinned. "Is behind you."

My heart jumped. I turned around quickly.

And there he is, standing by the door. When he smiled at me, I noticed every move on his faceㅡthe curving up of his lips, the scrunching of his nose, the way his eyes narrowed, the wrinkling of the skin beside his eyes as he did so, the twinkle in themㅡmy heart went wild. His smile is a sudden sunshine after a stormy day, like a youth merged with old age, a smile so pure that I think it could heal all the wounds in my heart. There's definitely something different in this smile among all his smiles. I wanted to capture it in my head and maybe, remember it always.

The way I felt was thrilling and scary but it made me happy.

How could I feel such great happiness for a person I barely know? It's like he was sent by some kind-hearted being to make my life much better.

"Happy birthday, Chorongie." He said calmly.

I smiled at him, then he started walking towards me and when he wrapped his arms around me, I felt warm and safeㅡa.k.a, I don't ever want him to pull away. I wish I could pause everything at the moment.

"You tricked me." I said.

When he chuckled, I felt his shoulders shake. "I'm sorry."

He pulled away and I kept smiling because I couldn't stop. We looked at each other, eye to eye, for a while before someone cleared his throat.

"Happy birthday, Park Chorong noona! I hope you don't mind that we're here." said Sungjae, smiling.

I smiled shyly, my cheeks burning. They all looked at us with meaning. I could read their faces and I wondered if they could read mine too at that moment.

"Not really. Thanks for being here." I said to him.

Another guy cleared his throat. Changsub patted the guy's shoulder and told me, "By the way, this is Seo Eunkwang. My best friend. I hope you don't mind he's here. He wanted to meet you." He said, smiling sheepishly.