Chapter 16

Chapter 16 | The Breaking

-

Chorong's POV

I stared at my mother, breathing through the oxygen tubes, while tears silently flow down my cheeks. I caressed her hand and take her all in because I'm afraid I won't ever be able to do this again. The thought of it makes me feel like my heart is being torn apart in small pieces.

"Your mother has been here for too long. Her body is tired, Park Chorong-ssi. I'm so sorry but maybe it would be better to finally let go." the doctor had told her earlier.

But how would it be better to let go?
He probably has no idea how it feels like to lose someone.

I didn't leave mother's side. I stayed in the quiet hospital room, feeling numb. The tears have stopped and I don't know how I feel anymore.

"Chorongie," A familiar voice called. I looked up to see my father.

And again, my heart ached.

"What are you doing here?" I asked coldly.

"I got a call from the hospital." he said.

"Is it your first time getting a call? It's not, is it? Then, what are you doing here now?"

"I want to talkㅡ"

"I'm sorry. I'm not in the mood for a talk."

"Chorong, you need to let go of her."

Every nerve in my body tensed. I'm hurting so much. It's too much for me to take it all in, while trying not to cry at the same time. "You have no right to tell me what I have to do."

My father ran his hands through his face as if losing his mind. "I know what I did and I'm sorry, but I'm here for you. I'm here to tell you to let go because your mom is tired. You can't pay the hospital bills forever, Chorong. You're stillㅡyoung and the karaoke shopㅡ"

"Please get out." I said firmly, not bothering to wipe away the tear that has rolled down on my cheek.

Dad swallowed. "Choㅡ"

"Why is it so easy for you?" she asked with so much resentment. "You're telling me you're sorry? You make it sound like the most important thing right now is that you're here!"

"It's not thatㅡ"

"You are not. The day you left me to face all of this alone, the day you decided we weren't enough for youㅡyou've lost all the right to care. So don't even pretend that you do because you don't. I'm not even going to ask you if you loved us, it's all way too clear for me. So, please leave and never tell me what to do again."

His shoulders dropped as he looked down. "You're right." he said. "But I loved your mom. I love youㅡ"

"Please, stop."

"I didn't want any of this to happen. Your mom and Iㅡwe couldn't work it out anymore. I have another family who looks up to me. I can'tㅡI can't disappoint them. I failed you. I don't want to repeat the same mistakes."

I sat down beside mom and quietly, I told him, "So you cheated on her? Dad, you drove her into this. If you would have just listened to her for a momentㅡshe wouldn't be here. She wouldn't be fighting with death right now. All you think about is your new family."

"Chorong, I have a kid so young. Your brotherㅡ"

"I don't have a brother."

"He's still too young. I want to be a better father to him."