| SIXTEEN: FORGIVE, DON'T FORGET

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN.
FORGIVE, DON'T FORGET

So maybe school had approached faster than Amandla originally thought. But, in her defense, the days had been blurring, you know? Starting with a hangover and ending with a bottle of whatever was easiest to reach in the cabinet that day, so it was no surprise that she didn't actually know any dates. All she knew was that Anastasia constantly said to finish school work because the year was approaching than you know it...

Of course, Anastasia had also been saying that since summer began in the first place, so she wasn't really a credible source for information. But then it appeared, September first had approached quicker than Amandla wanted and she was gripping tightly onto the railing of her cart as Mrs. Stature held her son in a loving embrace and telling him to conquer the year.

He gave his mother a smile before spotting his friends, and with a quick peck to the cheek the boy was gone. Cevira gave her mother a tight smile, though she did not receive one back, and was quickly on her way with Amandla, who didn't say a goodbye at all.

And then they were on the train. Fuck. "Wonder where Corey is..." Cevira muttered.

Confused, she managed to let out, "Why do you say that? He'll be in the same cart he always is."

"I know, Amandla," Cevira scoffed and rolled her eyes, "At least...I hope he is. He hasn't been returning any of my letters for the past month and I've been getting worried, which you would've known if you haven't been out of it all summer. Seriously, Amandla, what's going on with you?"

She needed to remember that her friend didn't know about her newly acquired addiction. Well, addiction is a strong word. Amandla could go a night without alcohol, but it would be a terrible and restless night and Amandla would regret not getting the liquor in the first place. At least then she felt a little lighter and her thoughts weren't as dark.

"Sorry, Cev, it's just been a rough year, you know? Last year, I mean. A lot happened and I was finally relaxing during summer," Amandla apologized.

"By pushing me away?" Cevira fired, "Sorry...that's rude. And you aren't as bad as Corey, at least I still got to see you every day during summer."

"I'm sure that Corey has a perfect explanation for why he hasn't been writing back, Cevira," Amandla reasoned. They finally reached their destination; their usual train cart. Rolling her eyes, Amandla said, "See? He's right there, like I said." And then they entered the cart with smiles on their faces.

Corey didn't seem those smiles, though, too preoccupied with staring out the window like all those lonely folks in romance movies. Amandla almost snorted at the thought. Amandla and Cevira sat down opposite to him as the Stature girl gave him a smile. "Hey, Corey!"