| TWENTYNINE: TO SAVE A LIFE

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE.
TO SAVE A LIFE (OR END ONE)

         The living room was littered with children. Students of Hogwarts who were at the Burrow for protection and because it was their home. Amandla sat in the chair closest to the window looking over the garden with Cevira on the ground as she braided her hair. Corey was in the seat beside her, mindlessly reading the letter Luna sent him. Only she knew where he was. Their father was clueless, thinking he was on the run, and he would be in a few days. The Weasleys were lounging around as well with Hermione, but there was still a divide between them.

Like at 12 Grimmauld Place, there was a divide between the two. The divide wasn't intentional and no one was really affected by it, but the two sides kept to themselves because that was most comfortable for them. Amandla didn't complain.

"You have magical fingers, Amandla," Cevira complimented, eyes closed as she let her friend play with her hair.

Amandla let out a small chuckle, "I know. I mean, I am a witch and everything."

The Asian girl scoffed, "Oh, shut up. You know what I meant." There was no malice in her tone, enjoying this moment more than anything.

She hummed in response, braiding the girl's hair as she turned to Corey. He had a pained look in his eyes, nothing else written on his face, and if she hadn't been so close to him she surely would've missed it. Lowering her voice to a whisper, she asked, "How's Luna doing?"

Corey blinked a few times, registering the fact that someone was speaking to him. He turned to Amandla, who was looking intently at him. "She says that it's lonely. Like when mum first passed..." there was a break in his voice at the end.

The girl wished she could do something more than sigh, knowing what it was like to lose a parent. To be so confused as to why she would never see them again when they were just sleeping...they just had to be asleep. Nothing else. Amandla did offer the only thing she could: "You'll see her at the wedding. Bill and Fleur invited them."

"And that might be the last time," there was a tinge of sadness in his voice, knowing what would happen after the wedding. The Weasleys couldn't keep them safe forever, it was too dangerous and it would never work; they would have to run. Amandla had prepared herself with the thoughts of how she might not survive, but she never liked to dwell on that fate. Instead, she thought of how she would be with Hermione after everything and she would finish school and Corey would still be with her and so would Cevira. In a perfect world, they would be fine. No remnants of war in their minds because they escaped it without a scratch.

She wanted that future more than anything.

"Don't think like that, Corey," she pleaded with him, her voice growing quieter with every word because that was the only way she could keep from crying.