| TWENTYTHREE: HELPING HANDS

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

HELPING HANDS

            Her eyes skidded across the library where she saw the girl. The girl she called her friend – still calls her friend – for so long, sitting there with her brother and his friends. She remembered the times when they used to hate them, all of them, call them names and complain about how they thought themselves better because their IQ was higher. Those little talks, the laughs and times on their beds, trading answers for questions now gone. It was all her fault, she was the one who caused this divide. There was no one to blame but Amandla Fitzgerald, so she blamed herself.

         A frown found her face as she looked with sad eyes at the sight. Cevira seemed so out of place sitting there, and certainly didn't look comfortable either. The boys were talking, her brother was talking, engaging in conversation and so effortlessly jotting down answers as Amandla saw the struggle that Cevira was trying to mask away. She sighed, looking down as Corey, who sat in front of her, looked over to see the girl as well.

         Cevira looked so alone over there, and Corey felt that guilt weighing on his soul as well. He had left her, left her and Amandla and everyone else in the dark. He fucked everything up because he thought it was better, but being alone is never better. He never wanted to hurt anyone, the reason why he turned away in the start, but he saw that his distance hurt them even more than death ever could...

         And now Cevira was alone. She was alone because he left her and then she turned against Amandla for all the secrets that seemed to loom around the girl, but you couldn't blame Cevira. She just wanted that same relation with Amandla, wanted to be told everything that troubled the girl, but she wasn't. Amandla turned away, kept all these secrets, and that hurt the girl. She couldn't stand the lies and the way Amandla looked and when she asked, it was always the same cold response of I'm fine.

         "What happened between you two?" Corey could sense the divide, but he hadn't a clue of what actually happened.

         "I hurt her," Amandla couldn't look at him, ashamed that she had hurt her friend, ashamed that she hurt everyone she ever cared for.

         Corey sighed, asking the better question, "How did you hurt her?"

         "I couldn't...I didn't...I never told her anything because I thought it was better," Amandla rushed out, "I wasn't sure if this would go anywhere, if we would keep talking...so I didn't tell her. And I just, I just never told her anything and now it's coming to bite me in the ass."

         "I never meant to get between you two," Corey bowed his head, it was all his fault, wasn't it?

         Amandla looked at him, "You didn't do anything, Corey, it was all me. I hurt her and now...now she'll barely say a word to me. And all I want to do is talk to her, say something, because I really need to talk to her."