42; mess

YOU'LL BE THE DEATH OF ME

❝ YOU'LL BE THE DEATH OF ME ❞

The checkered light streaming through the window caused Vada to groggily open her eyes. She buried her head in the pillow and sprawled her body out, stretching each limb leisurely and moaning in satisfaction. She flipped her head to the other side, expecting to see a sleeping Negan, but was met with no more than tangled white sheets.

Furrowing her brow, she propped herself up on her elbows and scanned the room. Her clothes were strewn on the shaggy carpet but Negan's were no longer there. She jolted up when she heard the sound of a bang, then realized it was just the sounds of pots clinging together. A large waft of pancakes came through the wide open door and she couldn't help but smile and relax back into the bed.

After gazing at the ceiling for what seemed to be at least ten minutes, she kicked her legs off the bed and wiped tiredly at her eyes. She was covered in no more than a sheer bed sheet and hurried over to collect her clothes. Slipping on her shirt and pants, not bothering with undergarments, she padded down the creaky steps of the home.

She quickly stepped around the corner and leaned against the wall, watching Negan from behind as he shook the pan and flipped another pancake. Dressed in no more than his jeans, Vada noticed the shirt that was messily tossed over the stool. She smiled to herself and crossed one leg over the other, then pushed herself from the wall and trudged over to the counter.

Negan spun around when hearing her steps and wore a smile larger than she'd seen before. She admired his looks, disheveled hair and a scraggly beard that had grown back to the way it was when they first met. "There's my girl." He teetered back on his heel with his tongue poking from his lips. "Took you long enough. Thought I was gonna have to wake you up."

"You should have." She leaned against the counter and closed her eyes, still tired. "We need to get back soon or people will worry."

"Don't worry about that, darlin'." He turned the pan upside down and dropped the breakfast food onto a plate. He spun on his toe and handed her a plate. "I told Simon I'd be back in the morning. It's only nine."

"So we have time." Slowly, she stabbed a piece of the perfectly done pancake onto her fork and placed it in her mouth. She placed both hands behind her on the counter and propped herself up into a sitting position.

Negan plastered a grin on his face and stepped forward, wrapping his arms around her lower back and pulling her into him. With her legs on either side of his waist and Negan leaning over to plant a kiss on her jaw, she narrowed her eyes. "Aren't you gonna eat?"

"Already did." She popped another piece of food into her mouth. Negan lowered his lips to her collarbone and left a kiss longer than the rest, sucking at her skin. She placed her plate down and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, interlocking her fingers behind his neck.