52; surprise

YOU'RE ALWAYS WELCOME

❝ YOU'RE ALWAYS WELCOME ❞

The back seat of her decrepit baby blue car was stacked to the ceiling with items she'd scavenged earlier in the day. Clothes, canned food, a wide variety of miscellaneous house items, and a few things here and there she'd chosen specifically for her family – comics for Carl, a jacket for her father, and toys for her little sister. The deserted town she'd ran into was untouched despite the few walkers roaming the perimeter, and had most of the things she was hoping to find – other than a fully stacked arsenal, of course.

"You don't have to leave," Negan muttered from behind, reaching over to press his hand against the car window. "We can stay another night."

She pressed her lips together. "Don't you have a tyranny to run or something?"

He grunted and removed his hand from the window. She pulled open the passenger's side door and strew a heavy coat over the back of the seat. It reminded her of Rick the moment she laid eyes on it, sitting comfortably on the mannequin, devoid of holes or splatters of blood, untouched. It was strange to see it so pristine behind the grimy, red and black bespattered window.

"You know, I don't have to run my damn tyranny alone." He smirked and leaned against the hood of the car. "There's a spot open for my consort, or whatever the fuck you want to call it."

Her nose crinkled in laughter. "Consort? Really?"

"Hell fucking yes."

Licking her top lip, she looked to the sky before responding, "I'm a follower, not a leader. I can't help you. Plus, I've got a family."

His lips formed a thin line, eyebrows knitting slightly before pushing himself from the vehicle. "Don't you already help your dad run a tyranny?"

"Were a democracy."

"Really? Because when I asked who the leader was all your people's eyes seemed to shift toward your father. And, well, he's been mighty fucking accommodating so far."

She took a stride forward and loosely hung her arms around his neck, then reached up to leave a kiss on his cheek. "Think what you want, Negan. Besides, I don't help him run anything. Like I said, I'm a follower."

He released a long breath and raised his brows. They gazed at each other for a few moments as Negan's thumb rubbed gently in circles on her hip.

"When are we meeting again?" He asked.

She thought for a moment. "Wednesday."

"Shit." He huffed. "Another three days?"

"We can't meet every day." A subtle smile made its way to her lips. "Besides, you've got a tyranny to run. I'm sure you've got more important ways to spend your time." She patted his chest.