Welcome home

After you were sure your eyes were perfectly dry, Blue turned back into his shy shell, barely looking up at you, seemingly embarrassed of his so sudden display of affection. Only Papyrus, in his unshaken daze of disbelief, could truly tell just how improved his brothers state of mind had become even compared to just this morning.

You went up the counter, bitties in hand of course, placing them on the desk and asking for their adoption papers with a big dopey smile on your face that you couldn't help wearing. To say the worker was shocked would be one hell of an understatement.

He was expecting you to be running out of here again, maybe even ask to see the other newer bitties like he suggested. He did NOT at all expect to be seeing either of the brothers...

and yet here they were, nodding up at him that, yes, they did definitely want to go with you.

Oh well, he was more then happy to pass off all the papers, telling you where to sign, in exchange for their small adoption fee of course. He then went and grabbed you two parcels labelled quite cheerfully as 'BITTY STARTER KIT', explaining in a very obviously routine lecture the ins and outs of your new companions-

"now what you should feed them... ....you should always be wary of animals and-... ... people always tend to think...  ...some bittys may need time to adjust... ...be prepared to give them space... ...-and if you have any concerns our number is in the pamphlet, do you have any questions?"

You did your best to listen, you honestly did, but as you stood there nodding at his retail smile as if you were absorbing every word, the weight of what you were doing really sunk in. You waited for the dread, or regret of such a quick decision, or anxiety, or anything you were used too, but it wasn't there. Looking down at the bitties, your bitties- was it really right to call them that so soon? you were excited. The thought of doing something so simple as eating dinner and watching tv or even washing the dishes afterwards seemed so much more appealing now it would be with someone else there. Two someones in fact- who wanted to get to know you better, who chose you- just as much as you did them. It was quite literally the biggest confidence boost you had in a long time, and for once you were excited.

You shook your head, "no, I think I got it"

"Alright, then you're ready to go" he leant down the counter and brought up a small plastic carrier not unlike one you would use for a cat, and placed it in front of you. The bitties tensed but did not looked at all shocked. You certainly were.

"umm... that's not for them, is it?"

"well its certainly not for you" he lightly joked with a smile.

You were adopting bitties, not buying a guinea pig. That was something the brand made absolutely clear- bitty bones were sentient companions and not like everyday pets. I mean, sure, there were many out there that treated them as such, there was a lot of controversy out in the public, but this wasn't something you would expect from the store. 

"Couldn't I just... carry them home?"

"oh, ah- no ma'am the use of a carrier during the first transport is a legal requirement. Its actually suggested you don't transport them at all without it until you're sure they would stay with you, but that's not really enforced" he said just as lightly as if it made perfect sense. No wonder people think of them as pets...

"well, uh, a-as long as you guys don't mind?" you checked with the pair of eyes staring up at you, taken a little off guard that you even asked at all.

After a full second of a staring contest, where you fully expected an appalled outburst, they eventually replied.

"heh, no skin off my back"
Papyrus, with that little smirk, just shrugged before making his way into the softly lined carrier, Blue following after with only a bit of hesitance. The worker then all too happily closed and locked the crate door.

"There we go, have a great day ma'am!"

"uh, y-yeah you too" you tried to copy his grin, and made your way out of the store, two parcels under one arm and a carrier very carefully in the other.

"...W-well, my apartment's only a few minutes away, hope you don't mind the walk" you weren't really sure if they heard and their lack of reply didn't help. The walk home was longer than normal, doing your best to keep the carrier close so it wouldn't rock. You half wished they opposed the degrading contraption because the whole 'bring your new friends home in a cage' thing was really rubbing you the wrong way. You tried your best to fill the silence before you couldn't deny it was awkward- "hope you don't mind steps- the block's elevator is out of order right now"

...

"not that I usually use it anyway, it always sounds pretty dodgy"

...

They weren't mad at you over the carrier thing right? you didn't have too much of a choice there... okay maybe the nerves are starting to kick in now.

"Are you guys alright, i-it's not moving too much is it?"

"... we're fine" came Papyrus' distant voice. Well at least you knew they were still there.

After a silent, very careful journey up the stairs to the forth floor, you managed to juggle the parcels and open the door single handed, revealing your completely average apartment.

You hoist the carrier up to the kitchen bench and unlock the latch, letting the door swing open. Now fully aware of how they might, and so easily can, judge you and where you lived. oh well- at least it was pretty tidy today.

"w-well, here we are... welcome home I guess"

----------------
A/N- woo! a little snippet of social controversy and story's finally coming together 
Big thank you to everyone that voted! it makes me smile and I really appreciate it :3