Get to work

Your eyes fluttered open and your first thought was wondering why.

Maybe it was the weight you felt across your chest, where Papyrus seemed to drift to in the middle of the night, sprawled out with his skull resting right above your heart. It was hard to see his face, being so close to your neck, but you were willing to bet he was perfectly comfortable so you definitely weren't one to argue with your new pillow status.

Regardless of the skeleton partly drooling on your pyjama top, what most likely woke you up was the mumble you heard right beside your ear. You tried your best not to twitch when the hot breath tickled again at your skin, and ever so slowly craned your neck to take a look at the culprit, an amused smile already worming it's way onto your face. Blue was curled up into a ball, huddling into the crook of your neck with one hand slightly tangled in your messy morning locks, like he was trying not to lose you while he slept.

Waking up next to them was definitely something you could get used to. 

You could feel his breath hitch again, only to let out another a slow murmur of words you didn't think would make any sense even if you could hear them properly.
Blue was facing your left, and was partly sunken within the fluff of your pillow, leaving all you could see of his skull to be the melted, deformed side of his scar. The sight brought down the corners of your smile.

You still haven't found the right time to ask about that, mainly because you knew you weren't ready to talk about your own if they asked, but that didn't stop it from bothering you. You wanted to believe it was just some horrible accident so badly, being so small must come with its own dangers after all.
But no, it was clear your boys were more then just unlucky. The way they used to flinch, every chip and scratch left on their greyed bones, how hard it was for them to even trust you at all- You knew there was far more to it then just an accident.

Your fingers brushed against blues skull, gently tracing over every bump and melted curve. The thought of anyone doing this to your sweet little blueberry made you sick to your stomach.

"...mweh heh... heh..."
Your darkening thoughts were broken when a happy laugh broke through his mumbling. He was smiling in his sleep as he huddled further into your touch, and you couldn't help but smile back warmly at the sight. He looked so carefree, if the proof wasn't so painfully obvious you would find it hard to believe that anything, or anyone, ever managed to hurt him at all.

Your room was barely lit, but the slow growing sunlight that sneaked into your window was just enough for you to see, as long as you managed to keep your tired eyes open. You knew it would be pointless to go back to sleep now, so instead you made a grab for your phone to distract you.

...uuuuurgg... your alarm was about to go off soon anyway. You made sure to turn it off now you didn't need it, but just when you were about to put it back on the bedside table, you had a much better, and sneakier, idea.

You double checked that the flash was off before carefully aiming the camera down at Papyrus and yep, you were right, his lazy grin looked perfectly at ease. You took a second to appreciate how cute the picture was, only slightly worried at the back of your mind that this might be a little weird but you shrugged it off. You would much rather just apologise later then lose the opportunity to get, what you were sure to be, your adorable new screen saver.

You then moved onto Blue, his smile still stretched blissfully across his face and oh my goodness, this one was definitely another keeper.

Alrighty, now that was sorted you needed to find a way out of bed without disturbing your captors.
As if he read your mind a sleepy groan rang out beside you, and you turned your head to see two, slightly blurry eyelights staring back at you.