A Familiar Burn

"Heads up!"
The warning yell from across the field was insufficiently loud, especially compared to the mighty thunk you heard next as a frisbee jammed into the branch above you.

It wasn't stuck for long however, and as the thick plastic disc dropped it managed to send a barrage of leaves and loose sticks with it, covering all flanks as it waged war against your little group.

The brothers were caught completely off guard from the sudden change of peace, stumbling to their feet just in time to catch a glimpse of flailing, golden hair before you arms shielded over them like a dome. Another thunk was heard as the frisbee bounced against your shoulder, and the leaves scattered over your blanket like debris while the sticks scratched and poked at your form. You didn't think twice about it however, acting on instinct as you focused on that big, burly dog racing towards you.

Boney hands fought against your own, urging them to open so they could see what was happening, but your grip was unrelenting as you instead scooped them up and held them close.

"Sandy! heel!"
The owner half-heartedly ordered as he jogged after her from the field, looking more focused on flicking his short hair back then your obvious discomfort.

Sandy didn't pay him any attention.

Without your arms to brace yourself the golden retriever nearly knocked you over in it's welcome, tail beating in a blur of hair as she tried to lick at your face.

No matter how hard you tried, your efforts to hide them were proven fruitless in a matter of seconds, as she caught onto the scent. Her cold, wet nose instantly tried to dig it's way into your clasped hands, sniffing curiously in inspection as it clearly piked her interest. The two in your grasp seemed to stop fighting against you at least, finally understanding your intention when the 'threat' almost managed to shove her entire furry muzzle between your palms. You didn't want to find out what she wanted with them.

You tried your best to move away, but she was insistent in her prying and pretty large even for her breed, not that your angle from the ground gave you much of an advantage anyway.

The owner, in his leisurely pace, finally made his way over to you and curled his hand around the striking red collar, pulling his dog back away and to his side.
He seemed to just ignore how she dutifully sniffed, straining against his grip for a closer look, and instead offered you an oblivious smile.
"Sorry, she gets a bit too excited sometimes. She's real cute though, isnt she?"

Any other circumstance you would have probably agreed, never being one to turn down a friendly dog in the park. Besides, those big, blue eyes of hers could easily melt your heart.

Right now however, the way those big, blue puppy-dog eyes stayed fixated on your hands, like a patient predator waiting for the right moment to strike, was far more unnerving then adorable.

Your brain figured this was the perfect time to make a loop of every horrible bitty report of animal attacks you've ever seen, pictures of pounds and dust-filled alleyways projected in your mind in a gut-wrenching collage.

It went unappreciated.

"Uh, yeah... cute"
Maybe it was your flat tone, or the way you didn't spare him a second glance as you kept your eyes worryingly on the very large dog instead, but he wasn't too pleased with your reaction.
"I'm Taj by the way" his grin was too toothy as he offered you a hand to shake, but with both hands occupied you left him hanging with an awkward nod instead.
"I'm-"
"Hey honey, everything alright here?"