Zach Dempsey - before you leave

Author: bandstripper

"You used me?"

Zach could've sworn his heart broke in half when he remembered the pain in your face and how you're voice broke when you heard him bragging to his friends how he would soon drop you once Hannah decided to 'wake up' and get jealous and finally go out with him. How you were so replaceable, how you didn't matter.
It was a party and he was a drunk and insecure little boy that wanted to fit in with the rest of his sex-crazed friends. He knew it was wrong, and his excuse are literally nothing. He wanted to punch himself the moment those words came out of his mouth but it was too late. You already heard it.

You heard all of it.

And Zach would've sold the whole world if it meant he could take back everything he said.

"Big Z!" He put up his facade and cheered with the rest of his friends, eyes discretely running around the cafeteria to check for you, out of instinct, but his heart give out when he found you sitting with Jessica on a table, not even sparing him a glance. He saw Jessica rub your arms up and down and whispering something in your ear.

"Hey Zach," before he could prepare himself, too focused on what Jessica was saying, Therese (a cheerleader he once had a complicated thing with) already had her arms wrapped around his neck. Not wanting her to lose balance and fall he placed his right arm around his waist. ",you up for Bryce's party this Friday?"
"I – I don't – I'll try to see if I can."

He had enough of Bryce's party. Nothing good ever came out of it.
Therese was obviously trying to convince him based on her high-pitched voice but Zach's eyes were already back to your table which was surprisingly void of you and consist of only a glaring Jessica. Zach panicked, pushing the girl off of him unnecessarily hard before getting his bag and running out of the cafeteria.
He saw you walking towards the main building and Zach nearly broke his legs from trying to catch up to you.

"(Y/N)! WAIT UP!"

You flinched when you heard his booming voice through your headphones but stopped walking regardless. He just had that effect on you.

"I ..." Zach noticed how the walls he had worked so hard to break down were now standing tall and proud in your dry and sunken eyes, mocking him. Reminding him how much he fucked up. ", I never apologized. What I said in that party was ... not right. I was being an ass, I'm sorry."

He kept staring at the top of your head since that was all he was blessed with considering you're barely giving him a glance. Nothing made him hate himself more when you looked up and gave him the fakest smile you could muster.

"Okay." You barely whispered.

Zach was flabbergasted by your reply. "Okay?"

You bit your lip and for a brief moment Zach could clearly see the damage he has done that was reflected in your eyes. "I don't know what to say." You looked down again and Zach felt his nerves shot up to the sky.