Zach Dempsey - At a Crossroads

Author: onemorefanaccount

"Are you seriously going to be petty about this?"
"Petty?" you scoff. "I am not being petty. You just sat there while they was badmouthing me and my friends! You didn't say a thing."
Zach ran a hand through his hair, "What was I supposed to do?"
"Oh, I don't know," you say sarcastically. "What do you think?" you demand. "Maybe tell them they was completely out of line and here's a thought," you continue, "stand up for your girlfriend."
"I'm sorry, okay! I was taken back, I didn't realise what he was doing."
You laugh at his words, "Don't be like that, Zach. You knew what they was saying, you were laughing with them. I actually can't believe we're having this conversation right now."
"(Y/N), I think you're overreacting."
Your eyes snap in his direction, "Excuse me?" you ask. "You think I'm overreacting?" you repeat. "I walked into a room where you sat with your friends and they were talking shit about me, making fun of my friends, while you practically encouraged them and you think I'm overreacting?"
Zach releases a small sigh, taking a step back to sit on the edge of his bed.
"Can you even understand why what you did was wrong? Why what they said was completely wrong? How sitting there and doing nothing is almost just as bad as saying the words yourself?"
"Of course I do," he says softly, meeting your gaze. Your expression softens slightly at the sight of his, but you try to stay on track.
"We need to have a discussion about our relationship," you say after a moment which causes his eyes to narrow at you.
"Are you going to break up with me? Over this?"
You laugh, crossing one arm over your chest as the other is pressed firmly against your chest as you grip at your neck, "I thought you were understanding how serious this is. Zach, this really hurt me and it's not something I can just brush off."
He sighs and moves forward, resting his elbows on his knees as he hangs his head.
"I don't think I'm asking much for you to just step up and say something when your friends are being jerks, to defend me-I do it for you!" you tell him. "Whenever someone tells me you're not worth it, that I've made a bad decision to be with you or that you're just like them-I stick up for you and I'd always hoped you would do the same. Maybe they were right," you sigh.
"What do you mean?"
"Maybe you are like the rest, maybe you're no different to them."
Zach looks as though you had hit him, your words clearly having an impact on him. You take a deep breath and move your arm so it was gripping your other, your arms completely crossed against your chest now.
"I'm not saying all of this to intentionally hurt you," you insist. "I just...I really care about you Zach, but I don't want to be wasting my time if you don't care about me."
"So you're breaking up with me? That's what you want?"
You shake your head, taking a step closer to the bed, "Of course it's not what I want, Zach. We haven't been together long," you admit, "but maybe we're just not right for one another, maybe our opinions and attitudes are just too different."
"We're over? Just like that?" he demands.
You can't help but groan, "You're making it sound like it's so easy."
Zach scoffs, "Well it sure as hell seems like it is for you. Do I even get a say?"
Rolling your eyes at his tone, your grip tightens on your arms, "What did you want to say?" you ask, cocking your head to the side.
He seemed lost for words, "I don't know!" he yells, gripping his legs. "I don't know what I'm supposed to say, how to make this better."
Nodding, your arms drop to your side, "You're not good at communicating how you feel a lot of the time, I get that Zach," you say. "But this relationship can't be a one way street. I'm not willing to be the only one who puts in the effort."
"Well what do you want me to do?!"
"It doesn't matter that I want," you deny, "it's not about that. It's about doing what's right and stepping up when people are doing the wrong thing, it's about showing me that you actually care about me and that you want our relationship to go somewhere."
Zach remains silent as you talk, trying to avoid your eyes.
"If you can't figure out what you want out of our relationship and actually realise why this whole ordeal is such a huge issue, because I can still see the confusion behind your eyes, than I don't think I can do this anymore. The ball is in your court, Zach."
You spare a glance over your shoulder before you walk out of his room, seeing him hunched over with his head between his legs sends a wave of guilt and pain through you, but you take a deep breath and continue walking away from him.