Chapter Twenty-Six || So Squirrelly

OMG I LOVE YOU, MY PEOPLE!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH I WANT TO MARRY ALL OF YOU!!!

Well... As long as you pay, and we get to have rainbow cake.

The park wasn't as bad as you feared. The grass was soft, and Anti kept you warm against the chilly breeze. Yeah, Anti was the cuddly type, if anyone hadn't picked that up yet. 

You slowly felt yourself drift off, with Anti curled next to you, Dark resting quietly on your other side. The light faded and you enter your dream land. 

In your dream, you're standing alone in the park, where you and Dark and Anti had been sleeping. The sun is gone from the skies, and your vision is limited to about a 20 foot radius around you. You blink, confused. It seemed like a boring dream...

Just then, out of the corner of your eye, you notice a small brown blob pop out of the fog. It's a squirrel. Wearing a grey flat cap with bright green hair... You stare for a moment, then, feeling like Alice in Wonderland, you follow your instinct and chase after it. It takes off in the opposite direction, nearly disappearing in the fog. Taking on your in-dream abilities, you call on your Go-Go Gadget legs and speed after the familiar looking squirrel. 

The rodent flies across the ground, leading you past trees, and down a long, twisting road. Briefly, you note road signs as you pass. "Freak Ave",  "Weird St" and "Stupid Rd". 

The squirrel turns abruptly into a large dilapidated warehouse on the beach, scurrying underneath a break in the woodwork near the back corner of the building. You get down your knees and peer though the hole, frowning. You try to judge whether you'll fit for a moment before deciding to take the risk. Your shoulders fit easily through, but your hips get stuck until you wiggle them loose and crawl forward into a small shaft, which you figure must be a row of cupboards. You wrinkle your nose.

"Smells musty..." You whisper, waving at the dusty air in front of your face. You hear a quiet chittering to your right. The green haired squirrel was sitting on its hind legs at the end of the small tunnel of cupboards. It seemed to be calling to you, and you had every intention to answer. 

"Shut up, I'm coming." You crawl after it, noting the strange emptiness of the cupboards, and their lack of walls inside. Just what kind of warehouse doesn't have anything in it?  The squirrel doesn't move as you approach, but stares at you, with startling bright blue eyes. They held a certain sadness in them, as they directed you towards a crack in the cupboard door. You raise an eyebrow, glance between the squirrel and the door, before finally taking the hint and moving towards the crack to peek through. 

You gasp. 

"Mark? Jack?" You whisper hoarsely, eyes wide in shock. They were sitting, back to back, tied together in they middle of the empty room. They appeared to be unconscious, their chins resting against their chests, their eyes closed. You turn back to the squirrel, to find it still staring at you. 

"Why...?" You feel your throat close up, and your eyes begin to water. You turn back to the two, and you realize someone had walked behind them, laying clawed hands on either one's shoulders. Ice blue eyes illuminate the dark, evil intentions lurking behind their pupils. 

"Welcome, Miss (Y/n)." A hauntingly familiar voice taunts you from afar. "It's such a pleasure to have you... Thank you for joining me, here..." You open your mouth, to speak, to say something, but your tongue felt heavy and useless. 

"I'm sorry we had to finally meet under these poor circumstances..." You feel a tremor of terror run over you when a white fanged smile sparkle through the veil of darkness. "But... What fun it is, to hold life in my hands, and know it's not just the two tied up here..." The male voice chuckles. 

"Their lives, your friends' lives... Even your life, Miss (Y/n)."

You don't have me captive, you piece of moldy cheese. 

"You may not think so, but I know something.... Just how much you love these two... Just how much apart of you is them." Another chilling chuckle, "You know that if they die, you die with them.

"See you later, Miss (Y/n)."

"(Y/n)? (Y/n)! Wake up!" 

You're shaken awake with a shocked gasp. Anti and Dark are crouched over you, Anti's claws gripping your shoulders and Dark's cold claws on your forehead. You sit up, your heart pounding loudly in your ears. 

"(Y/n)?" Dark moves in front of you, concern written all over his features. He places his hands on either of your cheeks and gently wipes away tears you hadn't noticed. "You're crying."

"Ye had a nigh'mare?" You nod, taking deep breaths while trying to calm yourself down. "Wha' was it about?" 

You recall your dream, going through everything as carefully as you can, trying not to leave out anything. When you conclude, the boys are unusually quiet. 

"(Y/n), I think..." Dark pauses, "I think you found yourself a way into the Median." 

"What?!" You're taken aback. Anti nods in agreement. 

"And ya found a way ter where Mark and Jack are."

"Mark?" A whispered voice startled the red haired American.

"Yeah, Jack?" 

"Did you hear that? That rustlin' over off to your left." 

"No... You must have been dreaming."

"Dreaming some really strange stuff, too." Jack says lightly, though Mark can tell his uneasiness. "I dreamt I was a squirrel... And there was this girl followin' me..."

"Yeah? What did she look like?" 

"She had real pretty (skin color), pretty (H/c) hair, and even prettier (e/c) eyes." Mark snorts.

"She sounds pretty." Jack nods, choosing to forgive Mark's sarcasm. "Yeah, but... I don' know, it was kinda... Sad."

"Sad? How was it sad?" 

"I don' know why, but it was jus'... Really depressing." Mark turned his head as best he could, and wished he could give his friend some comfort, but it was... Difficult to do that when he was tied up.

"I'm sorry, Jackaboi. Here, have a ghost hug."

"Thanks, Markimoo. I can feel it." There was a pause. "How long do you think we've been in here? Like this?"

"Long enough that my heart doesn't feel like it's going to jump out of my chest and run away."

"Long enough tha' my stomach has settled down enough to become hungry." They both managed a feeble laugh, though it was strained. They both knew that it wasn't likely they were going to be given any food. 

"You know what Mark?"

"Yeah, Jack?"

"I could go for some McDonald's right now."

*Gives out hugs and cookies* So sorry, guys. Hope I didn't break anyone's heart here. I was nearly in tears myself, writing this... It's the truth though; Mark and Jack mean so much to me, and to you guys as well, that, if and when they die, I believe a big piece of myself will die with them. 

Love you all <3 <3 <3