Chapter 2

"Rise and shine boys!", came Elson's strident voice. A loud groan came from Zack's bunk, as they rolled out of bed.
"Get a hustle on boys, the ladies have been up for an hour already.", the older man said unsympathetically.

   "I get the wash stand first!" Zack scrambled for the door, beating the rest of them by a couple of inches.  Ripping it open he stopped in his tracks.  The rest piled up behind him all looking out to see what had caught the red head's eye.  

  The rising sun shown gold on swirls of dust being kicked up by horse hooves. In the corrals the girls were hard at work catching horses.  Kylie and Bellamy swung houlihans with practiced ease, while Ivy lead the haltered ones out to tie up.  Billy and Jenny were currying out those already caught.  All worked together to get the job done, talking and laughing as they went.  Despite all having very different personalities they all managed to get along, something Trudy commented to Elson on when she saw them feeding earlier.

   "Once you've got an eyeful, why don't you all get dressed and help Trudy with breakfast.  The ladies have the chores handled.  Hurry up, you're burning daylight!" Elson didn't have to sneak up on the boys to scare them, they were so engrossed in what was going on outside that they didn't even notice the older man come up behind them.

  Hurry up, you're burning daylight!" Elson didn't have to sneak up on the boys to scare them, they were so engrossed in what was going on outside that they didn't even notice the older man come up behind them

  Outside Billy smirked, saying to Jenny, "We'll have to wipe up the puddle of drool those boys left in the doorway.  Wouldn't want anybody to step in it."

  Jenny chuckled, knowing full well what had the boys so transfixed.  The rest of the girls were slightly more oblivious to the ogling.  As they continued working the boys shuffled out of the bunkhouse to join them, their breakfast chores finished.

   "Miss Trudy said to tell ya that foods done.", Sorrel said as they approached.

   "Thanks, we are done anyway." Bellamy rubbed her big bay gelding, Dance, down as she turned to face them.

  The group returned to the bunkhouse for food, taking the same seats they'd had the night before.

   "Once you're all done, we'll go out and get you set up with a saddle horse.  Keep in mind that these won't be the only ones you will be using, but at least you can have a solid mount for everyday riding." Elson was explaining as they sat to eat.

" Elson was explaining as they sat to eat