Chapter 9

"Damn", Bellamy swore when she smashed her finger for the third time with the hammer.  Her mother snickered at her as they worked on repairing corral fence.  The wait for the others to return had kept their conversation to a minimum.  However, there was still work to do, so they stayed busy doing repairs until Ivy got back.  A horse stood saddled and ready for Bellamy to make her run on, all she had to do was tighten the cinch and she could go.  

   "Rider comin'!", Trudy said to her as she looked at the road.   

  Bellamy dropped the hammer to run to the waiting horse.  Ivy's horse was running hard as they came into the yard.

   "Ride safe Bellamy!", the Indian girl called as she passed the mochila to the station masters' daughter.

   "Good run Ivy?", Trudy asked as the dark haired girl approached the barn.

   "Yup." Ivy looked around, "Where is everybody?"

   "The renegades you all caught got loose, shot the sheriff and lit out.  Elson, Billy, Jenny, Rocky, Zack, Beck, and Sorrel went to see if they can catch 'em again.  Lance and Kylie are on runs, although Kylie should have been back this morning."

  The pair shared a glance of mutual worry, remembering what had taken place the last time a rider was late.  As Ivy walked to the barn she glanced up to see a pair of riders on a grey horse and a familiar black and white pinto trailing behind.

   "What the hell happened!", Trudy ran out to meet them.

   "Ran into those renegades about 15 miles from Plant's.  I'm assuming they must have escaped.", Kylie surmised when she saw the missing horses from the corral and the lack of people.

   "Yeah, two nights ago.  Everyone's gone to look for them and Bellamy's on a run.", Trudy eyed Lance, "Aren't you supposed to be headed to Big Sandy?"

  The curly haired boy's face hardened, "I wasn't going to leave her alone with no horse.  Figured it was safer for us both to come back."

  Trudy nodded, proud in the way only a mother could be, that he had thought of others first, despite the fact the mail was now even further behind schedule.

  Ivy took Cat to the barn and doctored her leg up.  The other two riders went to wash up at the bunkhouse, while Trudy found them something to eat.  

   "They were after something or somebody

   "They were after something or somebody.", Rocky spoke from the ground as he scanned the tracks in front of them, "A group of them pealed off here after a single set of tracks.  They went into the trees."

  Elson nodded in agreement, then urged his horse down the hill.  The others trailed behind him as they rode towards the trees the tracks entered.  

  Billy pulled out her rifle, the sound of the lever incredibly loud in the stillness.

   "Easy." Rocky spoke quietly while pulling out his own gun.