Chapter 26

"Mrs. Grant, may I speak with Tommy please?", the worn down mother was shocked to see Harold Ludlow on her doorstep.

   "Why sure.  Let me get him for you."

  Moments later Tommy appeared in the door, "What can I do for you sir?"

   "Could we talk somewhere privately Tommy?  That is if your mother approves."

   "There's nobody in the kitchen right now.  The other kids are outside and Ma has to do laundry.", the young boy led the lawyer inside the cramped space of the house.  Taking a seat in one of the mismatched chairs around the table, Ludlow motioned for Tommy to find spot to sit.

   "Tommy, were delivering food to the jail house the night Marshal Cable was shot?"

   Tommy remained silent, looking at the lawyer with fearful eyes.

   "Son, Marshal Cable is a good man, we all know this, and if we don't help him those men are going to hang him.", Ludlow stated softly.

   "Ye-Yes,sir", the pale blue eyes filled full of tears, "I saw everything.  Those men were gonna kill Marshal Cable, but he got them first.  I was so scared, I ran all the way home and hid.  The bad men would have hurt me if they had caught me.  They're really bad guys."

  Wrapping the boy in a hug, Ludlow continued, "I know Tommy.  That's why I need you to come with me to the trial tomorrow.  If you tell everyone what happened, maybe we can save Marshal Cable."

   "Okay."

The day of Sand's trial dawned bright and clear

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

The day of Sand's trial dawned bright and clear.  Rumors spread regarding what would happen to the other three prisoners in the jail after Sand's sentencing, the most common being that they too would be tried and possibly hung.  A circuit judge who shocked if everyone by his lack of ties to Troy, would be presiding.   The crew from Devil's Gate had come in at dawn to talk to Sand and Ludlow before the show started.  All of their hopes were hung on the lawyer's abilities and Billy's return.

   "All right boys, time to go", Crawford gestured for his deputies to bring the prisoners over to the courthouse.  Townspeople and Express Riders filled the room.  Zack took a seat with Elson and Trudy, Sorrel found a spot by the door on one side of the isle with Lance and Kylie on the other.  Beck had yet to return from his run from the day before.  One of the deputies called for order as the judge came in the room.  In front of him at a long table sat Sand, Rocky, Jenny, and Ivy.  Crawford and Troy were seated at a table next to that one.  Harold Ludlow and the oppositions lawyer had chairs on the end of each table.

   "Let's get this thing started.  It's going to be a long day, so I suggest if you have any plans to stay you get comfortable and keep your mouths shut", the judge's tone brooked no argument.  Troy was the first to the stand, his fancy business suit giving off an air of confidence.  

   "Mr. Troy, would you please tell the court what you witnessed on the night that Sanden Cable was shot and Garfield Smith and Flint Kelly were killed. 

   "Well your honor there's not much to tell: I was playing cards with Marshal Crawford, Smith, and Kelly when Mr. Cable came into the jail house.  He threatened us, saying he would get pay back for being thrown out of office.  When I tried to calm him down he pulled his gun out and shot Kelly and Smith in cold blood.  Crawford reacted in self defense in shooting Cable", Troy said smoothly.  Sand's jaw was clenched in an effort to avoid causing trouble as he listened.

   "Obviously the man was not in his right mind when he shot my friends.  Anger will do that to a person."

   "Objection.", Ludlow called, "That is speculation on the part of plaintiff."

   "Sustained.  Stick to the facts at hand Mr. Troy."

   "That's about it your honor.  I told the truth."

  Sand broke at this, "Aw come one!", he yelled, standing and pointing to Troy.  Ludlow placed his hand on Sand's shoulder to calm him.  After a couple more questions, the judge turned to Ludlow, "Are there any other witnesses you wish to bring to the stand?"

   "Just one your honor", Harold Ludlow faced the door, "Bring him in please."

   Ten year old Tommy Grant clasped Bellamy Ross's hand in a tight grip when they came up the isle.  The brown haired girl nodded encouragingly to the small boy.

   "This is your witness?  Why he's a child!", Vince Troy's lawyer scoffed from his chair.

   "You are aware of how unusual this is, correct?", the judge asked Ludlow.

   "He is a viable witness."

   "Swear him in then."

  Tommy approached the witness stand and took the oath.  His wheat blonde hair was smoothed down in an effort to look presentable.  Bellamy had helped him clean up before coming over, his starched white shirt and faded overalls showing some wear.

   "Mr. Grant, can you tell us what happened on the night Sanden Cable was shot and Garfield Smith and Flint Kelly were killed?"

   Taking a deep breath Tommy began, "I was bringin' food over to the Marshal's office just like I'd been told ta do.  Since Sand and Rocky were gone, my mom had been hired to make their meals for 'em.  I was just coming up the alley like I always did when goin' to see the Marshal, when I heard a horse trot up the street.  Through the window I saw Mr. Troy direct two men to take their guns and hide behind the safe and the cabinet.  Sand came in a few seconds later and started talking to Mr. Troy and Marshal Crawford.  I heard Mr. Troy rilin' up Sand while they talked.  One of the men must have moved or somethin, cause the next thing I know there's bullets flying everywhere.  Sand got the two men in hiding before Crawford shot him.  That's all I know."

  The courtroom sat in silence for a moment until Troy said, "Really your honor, you seriously believe the word of a small child.  That's preposterous!"

  His lawyer started to say something when the sound of horse hooves pounded up the street.  Billy burst inside carrying her rifle and a leather bag, "Sorry to interrupt your honor, but I have a letter here stating that Marshal Cable was never removed from office in the first place and that the letter Vincent Troy has is a forgery!  I also have a warrant for Troy and his whole gang's arrest for crimes up to and including murder, arson, armed robbery, and assault and battery!"

   Chaos ensued as Troy, Crawford, and their henchmen tried to get out of the building.  Sand jumped over the table, tackling Troy to the ground and knocking him cold with a blow to the face.  Billy blocked the front door with her Henry rifle leveled at anyone who tried to escape.  Rocky and Jenny scrambled to the side doors and covered them too.  After a few moments of pandemonium, the judge finally got everyone to settle down.

   "May I see this letter young lady?", the judge asked.  Troy and Crawford were now in the seats that Rocky and Sand previously held, while their men sat under the watchful eyes of the Express Riders.

  The blonde holding the big Henry rifle came forward to place the satchel on the judge's stand.  Opening the bag and reading the contents the judge cleared his throat, "This letter appears valid.  Case dismissed!"

Homeward Bound: A Young Riders novelजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें