Chapter 15

Ivy barely made it back to the chair she had previously fallen out of when she heard the news.  Breck had promised he'd be there and who knows where he was now.  Sand had reacted rather uncharacteristically for a Marshal - he told Nichols that if he didn't shut his mouth he was going to rip head head first through the jail cell bars.  Everyone knew it was no use trying to find out where the gang had taken Breck, so no body said a word to Nichols in that regard after he stopped laughing.  

   "What do we do?", Bellamy was pacing up a down the limited space in the office.  Zack sat watching her every move from his place against the wall.  

  Sand spared a glance at Nichols before motioning for the group to gather outside.

   "All right, Jenny, Elson, and Rocky will stay with me.  Lance you take by the doors with a shotgun, while the rest of you spread out to look for Breck.  We will try to delay the trial as long as we can so you all can get back with him, but no guarantees.  Unfortunately I don't think Ivy is going to be much use until Breck gets back.  She's terrified out of her mind with worry right now.", Sand quickly laid out his plan.  Elson stuck his head back in the office to check on Ivy who was sitting in the chair with a glazed look in her eyes.  

   "We need to get to work then.  She needs to testify and I don't know if she will if she's worried about Breck.", the station master was grim at this revelation.

  With a solemn nod, they went their separate ways.  

   "All rise for the Honorable Judge John Alden Riner

   "All rise for the Honorable Judge John Alden Riner.", a scrawny looking man with a surprisingly booming voice called out.  The crowd stood as one to face the stoic faced man who wore a judge's robes.  

   "Let's get this started.", Judge Riner started the proceedings.  Nichols was brought to the stand by Sand and Rocky.  They took up positions on either side of the stand,hooking their thumbs in their gun belts.  Elson stood behind the table that the judge sat at.  Lance had done as told, taking a position by the door.  Ivy was placed in a chair that faced the judge, Jenny at her side. She had reached a point that nothing registered with her as she sat with her spine ramrod straight.   Internally she was a wreck, but to the outside world she might as well been made of stone.

   Internally she was a wreck, but to the outside world she might as well been made of stone