Chapter 20

"Mr. Malcomb, you'd better check outside.", the bartender looked worried when he entered his boss's room.

   "What is it?", Malcomb walked to the window, peering out to see eight riders come up the street.  One of them he recognized as the girl who had been with Bellamy before she'd been arrested.  A big dark haired man wearing a badge was with them as well.  This couldn't be good.

   "I see what you meant when you said this town gave you the heebie jeebies, Billy", Jenny commented when she stepped off of Dollars in front of the jail

   "I see what you meant when you said this town gave you the heebie jeebies, Billy", Jenny commented when she stepped off of Dollars in front of the jail.  The rest of them nodded in agreement.  Walking inside they were met by an empty cell block and a surly looking Sheriff.

   "What do you want?"

   "Well, why don't we start with some answers.  Where is Bellamy Ross?"

   "Who?", the Sheriff was trying to avoid the heavy glare that Zack leveled on him.

   "You know damn well who.", Billy snapped.  Sand placed a hand on her shoulder to calm her down. 

   "Oh, Miss Ross, why I released her this morning.  She did her time and was free to go.  I'm surprised you didn't pass her on the road."

  Sand glanced at the group with him.  Nobody seemed to believe the man.

  The Sheriff coughed nervously, "It's in the books here if you want to see it."

   "I would like to take a look."

  A quick glanced proved that Bellamy's release was stated to be that morning.  Sand shrugged, "Well, thank you then.  I suppose we don't need to hang around in here any longer."

   "Say she didn't happen to say where she was headed?", Jenny asked.

   "Uh, no she didn't."

  The group was turning to leave when Rocky asked, "You don't happen to remember a school teacher here in town disappearing do you?  A friend of our down Devil's Gate way mentioned she was working up here."

   "We haven't had a new teacher here in over a year", the Sheriff assured them.

    "Huh, must have been another town then."

   "Yeah.  Must have."

  With that they left the jail.  

   "We would have passed Bellamy on the way here if she really was released", Zack growled as he scanned the town around them.

   "Uh huh", Sand gestured across the street, "Was that the saloon that she got in the fight in, Billy?"

   "Yup."

   Reading the sign in front of the saloon Sand said, "Well, I don't know about you all, but I could go for a cold drink right about now."

  Jenny grinned, "I was just thinking the same thing."