Chapter 25

"I have sworn out a warrant for the arrest of former Marshal Sanden Cable for murder", Crawford spoke from the steps of the jail house to a growing crowd of townspeople.  Vince Troy stood to his right wearing a smug grin.

   "Garfield Smith and Flint Kelly were friends of mine.  Sand Cable shot them down in cold blood.  I want to see justice served, so in addition to the Marshal's reward, I am putting in an additional five hundred dollars to see him caught.  When we catch him, he will receive a trial, then be hung by his neck until dead", this  earned a rousing cheer from the crowd.  Only a few voices did not raise in support of the announcement:  Kylie Ierland's, Harold Ludlow's, and a small boy named Tommy Grant's.  Kylie couldn't comprehend why the town had turned on their former Marshal so fast after all he had done for them.  Walking back to Cat, she grabbed the reins and headed for the general store to pick up the supplies that were going to be taken to the trio out on Soda Lake.  Harold Ludlow trudged back to his table in Troy's Saloon.  Taking up a pen, the drunken lawyer began writing down a list of things that could be done to help Sand.  Meanwhile, Tommy Grant returned to his house.  The small boy had witnessed the shooting at the jail house a few nights before and knew that Sand was innocent.  Tommy was very fond of the big Marshal and his brother, both of whom were always ready to help or play with the children of Devil's Gate.  He had to think of something and think of it fast.

  Jenny urged Dollars up the trail that Ivy and the boys had taken

  Jenny urged Dollars up the trail that Ivy and the boys had taken.  She was tasked with bringing the supplies to them for the next few days or until Billy got back.  Unfortunately the situation was about to get a whole lot more complicated.  Trailing not far behind was Crawford and his men.  They had been on the lookout for the riders to reveal where the Cable boys were and today was their lucky day.  

   "Hey Jenny", Ivy called from the cave mouth where she stood guard.

   "Ivy", the brown haired girl nodded, "How's things?"

   "About as good as they can be considering the circumstances."

  Jenny Halliday grinned, preparing to dismount when a voice rang out, "Drop your weapons and come out easy like.  We've got you surrounded."

  From inside the cave, Rocky heard this, "Sand, wake up!  They found us!"

   "I thought you knew better than to lead them straight here", Ivy growled at her friend.

    "It wasn't on purpose.  How was I to know they were so good at tracking.", the other girl unbuckled her pistol and threw it on the ground.  Resistance was futile they realized as about a dozen men came out of the hills and rocks around the cave.  All four of them were handcuffed and slung up on their horses to be taken back to Devil's Gate.

   "Any news from Billy?", Rocky muttered to Jenny.

   "Nope."

   "Damn."