Chapter. 6

"Jenny, get away from the window!", Rocky said harshly as he ran into the cabin and slammed the door. Chest heaving he peered through the dirty glass at an angle, his pistol out.

   "What's up?", she asked from where she had sat down when told to leave the window.

   "Riders coming from the direction of Devil's Gate. Didn't want to take a chance that they were the same that shot you.", he explained, still vigilant at the window.

  When she'd finished dressing she'd gone out and told him how it all had happened. Rocky had only nodded, then told her of the renegade gang in the area. It didn't take a genius to figure out they were one and the same.

  Now she pulled out her pistol and joined him at the window, peering out without showing herself. Suddenly she sucked in her breath and ran to the door.

  "Jenny, what-?", Rocky could only follow as she ran out to meet the incoming riders.

  "It's Billy, Bellamy, and the others!", she tossed over her shoulder as she sprinted to them.

  The group came to a stop in front of them, the girls jumping off before their horses halted to hug Jenny. Zack, Sorrel, Lance, and Beck merely sat watching the exchange.

 "What the hell happened?", Billy exclaimed as she looked at the dark haired rider.

  "I was shot through the shoulder by, what Rocky figures, was the renegade gang that's been around.", the girl explained.

"We going after them?", Zack asked. Jenny looked at Rocky, who nodded, then said, "If you'll ride with me, yes."

"Then let's go.", Billy yelled as she ran towards Solo.

   "Just how are we going to stop these fellows?", Lance asked as they lined up, belly down on a ledge over looking the renegade's camp

  "For that I have an idea.", Kylie spoke softly. Everyone looked at her expectantly as she outlined what they should do. Lance noted that Kylie seemed very calm and collected about capturing the outlaws.

   "Ivy and Beck, get down there and find the Henry Repeaters from the station, there should be two from Plants and at least one more from one of the other stations they hit. Billy get yours and meet back here."

  They set off on their respective tasks while those that remained watched in silence.

   Ivy Jackson was somewhat of mystery to Beck Donovan, and even to the others.  She rarely voiced an opinion on anything instead staying silent and watching everything through calculative eyes.  This was something she'd learned to do at the Indian school she had been taken too after her parents had died.  Being Indian was hared enough, let alone one that was half white.  She still couldn't believe how easily she'd fallen into a routine with the other riders.  They were more family than she'd had in a long time.  She especially had a soft spot for the dark haired boy behind her.  He always had a kind word and a smile when he saw her.  A few days a go her remount had thrown her on the way back to the station.  Beck had found her limping down the rode with her lame horse following behind when he went looking for her.  He gathered her up in front of him and led her horse back to the station.  When they arrived home he immediately cared for her injured horse, then took her to the bunkhouse and fixed up her leg and scraped face.  She flushed at the thought of his handsome features curling into a frown at the sight of her injury.  It was for sure - she had a thing for Beck Donovan and nobody could know.