Chapter 11

"You mean to tell me that white men attacked the station?"

   "Yes Marshal.", Stranger was sitting cross legged on the floor of his cell.

   "Why would you say that?", Sand was incredulous.  Twice now attacks that had been said to be Indians had opposing stories with them.

   "Like I said: Indians shoot better and they don't smoke cigars."

  Shaking his head the Marshal turned back to face Sorrel, "Is that what he told you?"

   "Yep.", the brown haired boy answered.  On the trip back he had listened to what Stranger had to say about the killings.  According to him white men dressed as Indians had attacked the station and killed Micky and Backer.  He was trying to help the white men in order to stop the blame for another attack being put on Natives.  Sorrel told Sand this and Stranger said the same thing.  As crazy as it sounded, Sorrel did think in the back of his mind that maybe Stranger was telling the truth.  

  Sand on the other hands, didn't know what to think.  Both Ivy's and this strange Indian's stories were similar, but it was all one big mess.  Heaving a sigh he sat down in his chair and stared the the rider in front of him.  Sorrel met his glance, but said nothing.  Finally Sand spoke, "You said Indians didn't smoke cigars, right?"

  The Indian in the cell nodded.  Sand looked at him thoughtfully, then turned to Sorrel, "Is Ivy at the ranch?"

   "Yes.", Sorrel said puzzled.

   "Bring her in.  I have some questions to ask her."

  Ivy rode into town with Beck, Trudy, Elson, and Bellamy at her side

  Ivy rode into town with Beck, Trudy, Elson, and Bellamy at her side.  Sorrel chose to stay behind to catch some sleep while Zack, Lance, and the others did chores.  Kylie had yet to return from the run, but it was expected as she had a ways to go before she turned back toward Devil's Gate.  Walking into the jail, the Cherokee girl was preparing herself for another useless conversation with Sand.  

   "Thank you for coming back Ivy.  I'd like for you to meet someone - Strange Horse this is Ivy Jackson."

  Ivy stepped forward to look at the other Indian.

  "Hau." 

  "Hau.  Táku eníciyapi hwo?"

   "Tokeca Tashunke."

   "Emaciyapi Mani Mni."

  Stranger nodded thoughtfully, "You are not Lakota, but you speak the language."

   "I'm half Cherokee.  I learned your tongue at the Indian school."

   "Well for those of us that don't speak Lakota, could you please translate please?", Rocky asked.

    "He said hello, which I returned, then I asked for his name -  Strange Horse, as you already know.", Ivy explained.

   "What did you say after that?", Sand wanted to know.