Chapter 22

The next morning started off about as bad as the one before, only this time it was the whole town and Troy at the jail office door.

   "What do you want?", Sand was not in the mood to talk.

   "You see, I have this letter from the territorial governor himself removing you and your deputy from office.  As of a few minutes ago, Thomas R. Crawford was just sworn in as the new US Marshal for this territory.  You've got the next two hours to clear out.", Troy wore a smirk of victory as he said this.

   "Let me look at that!", Sand lunged for the paper seething with anger.

   "I don't think there's any need for that Mr. Cable.  Now will you leave peaceably or will the new Marshal and his men need to escort you from the premises?"

  Sand swung his fist back, ready to lay out the sneering man in front of him.  Rocky reached forward and grabbed his brother's arm, "He's not worth it."

  Troy smirked once more before turning and sauntering back down the street.

   "Pack your things Rocky, we'll head for Elson and Trudy's."

   "Yes, Sand."

   "Ya know what I like about literature?", Billy was currently stretched out on her bunk reading a dime novel, "The way it makes life so much

   "Ya know what I like about literature?", Billy was currently stretched out on her bunk reading a dime novel, "The way it makes life so much...richer.  Know what I mean?"

   "You call that literature?", Zack scoffed, "I call it a waste of paper and ink."

   "Zack's right Billy, we all know that none of the stuff in those has an ounce of truth to it.",  Lance chimed in, looking up from cleaning his pistol.

   "Yeah, half the stuff that's been written about me makes me seem ten foot tall and bulletproof.  Shoot, the one I heard somebody talkin' about had me riding a grizzly bear on some crazy plan to stop some outlaw from blowin' up the Rockies.", Jenny had dealt with the dime novel business before.  It hadn't turned out well.

   "What are you all squawkin' about - it's fun and it helps a person better them self.", the light blonde protested.

  Bellamy walked through the door, "If you want to better yourself, why don't you try readin' the bible?"

   "I already did", Billy stuck her tongue out at Bellamy like a small child would.

   "What she means is that she looked at the pictures", Jenny said sarcastically.  Billy threw her pillow at the gun hand, hitting her square in the face.

   "Hey now, get along kids", Kylie said in a sweet tone.  Before anyone could retort, hooves were heard in the yard.

   Peaking her head out the door, Bellamy was surprised at the sight of Sand and Rocky with loaded down horses entering the yard.  Not sparing another glance to the squabbling children inside, she stepped out to meet them.